Being one of the oldest cities in North America, Boston is the capital city of the state of Massachusetts in the United States comprising a well-balanced blend of architectural styles ranging from 17th Century to modern/contemporary. From historic to modern architecture, Boston has it all – industrial chic brick-and-beam lofts to freakishly tall residential skyscrapers with luxurious condos. Some of the marvelous modern apartment buildings in Boston might just urge architects to take a second look.
The Clarendon | Apartment Buildings In Boston
Year – 2010
Designed by – Robert A.M. Stern Architects, LLP
One of the most prestigious and exclusive ultra-luxury condominiums buildings, The Clarendon is located at the epicentre of Back Bay diagonally across from the John Hancock Tower (constructed by I.M. Pei & Partners), near the famous Newbury Street in Boston. With spacious condos and rental apartments having panoramic views of river Charles, the Boston Harbor, the Boston skyline, etc., the 33-story residential tower has a beautiful red brick and limestone façade with walls of floor-to-ceiling glass and ground-level retail space.
Year – 2019
Designed by – CBT Architects
Situated in the famous Hood Park in Boston, the project depicts Hood Park’s evolution from its origins as an industrial area to a contemporary and dynamic mixed-use development. The apartment building structure is designed in such a manner that it complements the existing structures in Hood Park and the retail spaces in the vicinity. Designed to match the scale and proportions of the neighbourhood’s existing industrial structures, the building’s façade is covered with terra-cotta coloured rain-screen panels with protruding metal and glass bays. A beautiful 6-story residential building with a total of 177 units, the Harvey serves as a bold and welcoming entrance into a vibrant and reinvigorated neighbourhood.
212 Stuart | Apartment Buildings In Boston
Year – 2022
Designed by – Sasaki & Howeler + Yoon
The 212 Stuart high-rise residential project depicts the use of classical elements to create contemporary effects that resonate with the neighbourhood’s historic context. The apartment building, located between the Bay Village Neighborhood and Stuart St Corridor, is a 19-story residential tower with 126 residential units that present two different faces to the surrounding vicinity – the low-rise residential neighbourhood on the southern side and the mixed fabric of the “High Spine” corridor. The exterior of the structure consists of sculpted precast concrete panels and window walls which provide a signature look and a distinctive appearance.
Year – 2018
Designed by – Arquitectonica & CBT Architects
The ‘Pierce’, with its angular form sheathed in shimmering glass, was designed by the architectural firm ‘Arquitectonica’ with interior design detailing done by CBT Architects. Located at the intersection of Brookline Avenue and Boylston St, it is a 30-story residential tower having 109 luxurious condos and 240 rental units showcasing the building’s stunning, elegant & modern architecture. The building is designed to maximize 360° views of Boston, Cambridge, and the river ‘Charles’, letting abundant natural light in from all angles.
Macallen Building Condominiums | Apartment Buildings In Boston
Year – 2007
Designed by – office dA
Designed from the ground up to utilize and take advantage of the ‘Green Building techniques and materials, the Macallen Building is one of the first gold LEED-certified buildings in Boston. One of the city’s most recognised residential buildings, the structure’s design incorporated components like a sloped green roof descending in scale to meet the residential street. The western end of the building, with a curtain wall, yields beautiful panoramic views of the city, whereas the brickwork on the eastern side tries to retain the residential fabric of the neighbourhood. The building’s northern and southern façades include bronze and aluminium panels that pay homage to the region’s industrial heritage.
Year – 2015
Designed by – CBT Architects
A 14-story residential tower with 118 jaw-dropping luxurious units ranging from studio apartments to penthouses with glass curtain walls and spacious balconies overlooking the city’s iconic harbour, the ’22 Liberty‘ is a breathtaking structure located on the waterfront of Fan Pier in the Boston Seaport District. The all-glass façade design reflects the relationship between water and sky and provides phenomenal views of the waterfront and the Boston skyline.
The Millennium Tower | Apartment Buildings In Boston
Year – 2016
Designed by – Handel Architects
At a staggering height of 685 feet, the ‘Millennium Tower‘ is the 2nd tallest residential building and the 5th tallest skyscraper in Boston. Housing over 442 luxury condominiums along with retail and office space on the initial floors, the shimmering glass tower provides unbelievable views of the city from every angle with floor-to-ceiling windows. The structure’s crystalline exterior and sharp geometric design make the building stand out in the Boston skyline not just for its architectural significance but for the image of the sky it mirrors.
Four Seasons One Dalton
Year – 2018
Designed by – Henry N. Cobb, Pei Cobb Freed & Partners & Cambridge Seven Associates
The tallest residential tower and the 3rd tallest building in Boston, the Four Seasons One Dalton is a magnificent 61-story skyscraper in the heart of the city. Rising to an impressive height of 742 feet (226 m), the tower not only includes 160 luxury condos on the upper levels but also houses a 215-room Four Seasons 5-star Hotel that occupies the first 23 floors. The tower was designed by world-renowned architect Henry N. Cobb and is shaped as an equilateral triangular prism with rounded bays and floor-to-ceiling glass panels which provide unobstructed views of the Boston skyline, river Charles, etc.
St. Regis Residences
Year – 2022 (Near Completion)
Designed by – Architect Howard Elkus, Elkus Manfredi Architects
St. Regis Residencies, a subsidiary of Marriot and Starwood, is building an elegantly designed 22-floor luxury residential tower along Boston’s booming Seaport area, housing 114 luxury waterfront condominiums overlooking the harbour. The unique design of the residential building was done by the renowned architect Howard Elkus of Elkus Manfredi Architects, who drew inspiration from the sea to create a tower that encapsulates the essence of waves crashing, billowing sails, and the bow of a ship. Rather than a simple glass box design, the tower appears to twist on its axis in a curvilinear shape of a sailing ship, with beautiful pleats providing breathtaking views from every apartment.
MassArt – The Tree House | Apartment Buildings In Boston
Year – 2012
Designed by – ADD Inc.
Nicknamed “The Tree House“, the student residence of the Massachusetts College of Art and Design (MassArt), resembles a tree with a bark-like brown tone while also echoing the traditional brick buildings of Boston. The 21-story building was designed to showcase the goals and aspirations of the college as well as the suggestions from students that the building should be like a painting (colourful and vibrant) and meaningfully identify it as a part of an art college. Inspired by Klimt’s famous 1909 painting, the façade consists of 5500 coloured metal panels ranging from dark brown at the base to lighter shades, reflecting a tree bark and making the building appear taller. Green window panels were included to represent the leaves of the tree.
Chuck Choi. (2014). Windows configured in response to the passive daylighting techniques. [Photograph]. (CTBUH Journal | 2014 Issue 1 | Pg 13, Boston: Case Study – Tree House Residential Hall);
- The Clarendon –
- The Clarendon Residences (2011). The Clarendon | 400 Stuart Street, Boston MA. [online]. Available at: https://www.clarendonbackbay.com/ [Accessed 21 September 2022]
- LuxuryBoston.com (2018). The Clarendon Condos Boston Back Bay. [online]. Available at: https://www.luxuryboston.com/The-Clarendon [Accessed 21 September 2022]
- RAMSA – Robert A.M. Stern Architects, LLP (2018). The Clarendon. [online]. Available at: https://www.ramsa.com/projects/project/clarendon [Accessed 21 September 2022]
- The Harvey –
- The Harvey (2019). The Harvey: Luxury Apartments for Rent in Charlestown, MA near Boston. [online]. Available at: https://www.theharvey.com/ [Accessed 21 September 2022]
- CBT Architects (2018). The Harvey – CBT Architects. [online]. Available at: https://www.cbtarchitects.com/project/harvey [Accessed 21 September 2022]
- 212 Stuart –
- 212 Stuart (2022). 212 Stuart St is a pet-friendly apartment community in Boston, MA. [online]. Available at: https://212stuart.com/ [Accessed 21 September 2022]
- Sasaki Associates, Inc. (2022). title. [online]. Available at: https://www.sasaki.com/projects/212-stuart-street-residential-building/ [Accessed 21 September 2022]
- Howeler and Yoon Architecture, LLP (2022). 212 Stuart Street – Howeler + Yoon. [online]. Available at: http://www.howeleryoon.com/work/34/212-stuart-street [Accessed 21 September 2022]
- The Pierce –
- Pierce Boston – Samuels & Associates (2019). Pierce Boston Apartments | Pierce Boston. [online]. Available at: https://pierceboston.com/about [Accessed 22 September 2022]
- Arquitectonica International Corporation (2018). Pierce Boston – Arquitectonica Architecture. [online]. Available at: https://arquitectonica.com/architecture/project/pierce-boston/ [Accessed 22 September 2022]
- Architect Magazine (2018). Pierce Boston. [online]. Available at: https://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/pierce-boston [Accessed 22 September 2022]
- Macallen Building Condominiums –
- Architect Magazine (2013). Macallen Building Condominiums. [online]. Available at: https://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/macallen-building-condominiums [Accessed 22 September 2022]
- ArchDaily (2009). Macallen Building Condominiums / office dA. [online]. Available at: https://www.archdaily.com/41703/macallen-building-condominiums-office-da [Accessed 22 September 2022]
- Architizer (2019). Macallen Building. [online]. Available at: https://architizer.com/projects/macallen-building/ [Accessed 22 September 2022]
- 22 Liberty –
- CBT Architects (2018). 22 Liberty at Fan Pier | CBT. [online]. Available at: https://www.cbtarchitects.com/project/22-liberty-fan-pier [Accessed 22 September 2022]
- The Fallon Company (2014). Twenty Two Liberty – Unprecedented luxury condominiums on Boston Harbor. [online]. Available at: https://www.falloncompany.com/projects/twenty-two-liberty/ [Accessed 22 September 2022]
- Elevated Realty (2016). 22 Liberty | Seaport Luxury Buildings | Elevated Boston. [online]. Available at: https://www.elevatedboston.com/buildings/22-liberty/ [Accessed 22 September 2022]
- Millennium Tower –
- Bushari Real Estate (2015). Millennium Tower Boston | Bushari Group Real Estate. [online]. Available at: https://www.millenniumtower.com/ [Accessed 23 September 2022]
- Millennium Tower Boston (2015). Millennium Tower Boston | The Evolution of Luxury Living | Millennium Boston. [online]. Available at: https://millenniumtowerboston.com/ [Accessed 23 September 2022]
- Four Seasons One Dalton –
- Four Seasons Hotels Limited (2018). Boston Luxury Hotel | Back Bay | Four Seasons Hotel One Dalton. [online]. Available at: https://www.fourseasons.com/onedalton/ [Accessed 23 September 2022]
- One Dalton (2017). One Dalton. [online]. Available at: https://onedalton.com/ [Accessed 23 September 2022]
- St. Regis Residences – Apartment Buildings In Boston
- St. Regis, Seaport LLC (2022). The St. Regis Residences, Boston – Luxury Residences – Property. [online]. Available at: https://www.srresidencesboston.com/property/ [Accessed 23 September 2022]
- Elevated Realty (2022). St. Regis Residences Boston | 150 Seaport | New Construction Condos. [online]. Available at: https://www.elevatedboston.com/buildings/st-regis-residences-boston-seaport-pre-construction-condos/ [Accessed 23 September 2022]
- Boston Agent Magazine (2022). St. Regis waterfront property nears completion – Boston Agent Magazine. [online]. Available at: https://bostonagentmagazine.com/2022/07/13/st-regis-waterfront-property-nears-completion/ [Accessed 23 September 2022]
- MassArt: The Tree House –
- MASSART, Massachusetts College of Art and Design (2017). Tree House | MassArt. [online]. Available at: https://massart.edu/facilities/treehouse [Accessed 23 September 2022]
- ArchDaily (2014). Massachusetts College of Art and Design’s Student Residence Hall / ADD Inc. | ArchDaily. [online]. Available at: https://www.archdaily.com/469699/massachusetts-college-of-art-and-design-s-student-residence-hall-add-inc [Accessed 23 September 2022]
- Architect Magazine (2013). Massachusetts College of Art and Design Student Residence Hall | Architect Magazine. [online]. Available at: https://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/massachusetts-college-of-art-and-design-student-residence-hall [Accessed 23 September 2022]
- World-architects.com (2014). MassArt – Tree House Student Residence -. [online]. Available at: https://www.world-architects.com/en/architecture-news/reviews/massart-tree-house-student-residence [Accessed 23 September 2022]