It’s difficult to deny how trendy white interiors have become- whether you call it modern minimalism, Scandinavian saturation, or simply a love affair with neutrals. Home interior trends are undeniably cyclical, with few resurfacing only a few months after being written off as obsolete. The white interior decor is one example of a trend that has been hyped and subsequently dismissed. However, it appears to be having its day once more. So, here are fifteen white interior design examples.
1. White Skube House by Srijit Srinivas
This Trivandrum home conceived by Srijit Srinivas is a skewed cuboid (‘SKUBE’) structure that is foresightedly painted in white to complement the sereneness of the transformed platonic form – accentuated, as it were, by the bustling neighborhood. The white interior is intentionally used in contrast to the exposed concrete ceiling to create a clean, minimalist, airy and serene space.
2. The Historic Schoolhouse Apartment by White Arrow
The Historic Schoolhouse apartment was created by and for White Arrow partners Keren and Thomas Richter. This US home’s historic Shaker-style kitchen and some other areas were painted all-white, providing a light-filled, pleasant space. The gold accent on the handles, plug sockets, and lighting add a sophisticated touch to the cream-colored cabinets.
3. Canvas House by Ministry of Design
A co-living space in Singapore‘s Tanjong Pagar neighborhood is an all-white interior with nearly every surface coated white in an attempt to “create a canvas” for any future aesthetic modifications that may be performed. Original characteristics such as those of the stone and timber stair treads are highlighted through circular incisions in the painting. The house’s antique vases, screens, and ceramic dishes were also intermittently painted white to leave traces of their intricate designs.
4. Aesthetic Lab by CloudForm Laboratory
CloudForm Laboratory, a Taiwanese architecture firm, has converted a classroom in a secondary school into a “blank canvas” for innovative learning. The spacious classroom’s ceiling and two walls are all coated in all-white, offering an undisturbed environment for kids to learn in. “With white interior walls and ceilings, children’s broad imaginations could run free,”
5. Topological Folding House by Takashi Yamaguchi & Associates
The all-white interiors with aluminum flooring help to bounce light throughout rooms, while the voids aid to attract light from higher levels down into lower-level spaces. The house is set in a tiny garden and is reached by a long, thin path. The main entry is located at one end of the home, and a white platform extends from the living area to offer convenient access to the garden.
6. Penthouse M’s interior by CJH Studio
The interior color scheme is as earthy as the sand and sea outside. Nothing has been overdone; the varied textures flow into one another gracefully as the eye moves over the house. The entire area is white, but one’s gaze is never far from a glance of the sparkling sea through several black-framed windows.
7. White Dormitory by Koichi Futatsumata
At Teshima Island, Japan, the White Dormitory houses three restaurant workers. Its three bedrooms each have their own kitchenette with white-washed wood floors. The pale wood benches with sage-green pillows and brown ceiling beams lighten the room and give it a more rustic feel.
8. XS House by ISA
This apartment in the XS apartment building features a light open-plan living and dining area and was built in a location with a “very compact” footprint. The white sofa and its interior are decorated with a fluffy throw in a delicate pink color that matches the apartment’s walls, which contain creative geometric cut-outs to open up the area.
9. House and the River by After Party
This charming river house in Lithuania has a pink kitchen, but the majority of its interiors are in relaxing white. White walls, floors, and ceilings give the space a bright and modern vibe, allowing crucial items to shine out. A fireplace with gold surfaces and rock at its base, a pink-painted kitchen island with a pink terrazzo countertop, and a collection of antique furniture are among the outstanding elements.
10. Akari House by Mas-aqui
The Akari House, named after a Japanese word for light, stands up to its name. The Akari House, named after a Japanese term that means “light,” lives up to its name. The open-plan kitchen and living area have a low off-white sofa against one wall, with two flower paintings on a floating wood shelf on the opposite side. A white ceiling fan and white tiles, as well as built-in hardwood furniture and a wood floor, complete the pastel décor.
11. Barcelona Apartment Renovation by Arquitectura-G
To establish continuity between the rooms of this open-plan apartment in Barcelona, Spanish company Arquitectura-G cleverly employed white-painted walls and ceiling beams with pale-grey carpets creating a minimalistic palate.
12. Slice of the City by Alphaville Architects
The white interiors of this family home in Nishinomiya by Japanese studio Alphaville are filled with natural light and ventilation owing to a central courtyard. Whitewashed interiors help to blend all of the spaces and create a light and airy atmosphere.
13. Perla Brewery Apartments by Projekt Praga
Projekt Praga’s refurbishment of a 19th-century brewery complex in Lublin comprises white-painted walls and herringbone floors, with just plants and art on the walls adding color.
14. Ridge by Snark and Ouvi
Snark and Ouvi, two Japanese design studios, created 16 apartments in Takasaki City with similar layouts and white interiors, with light blue coated steel on the exteriors.
15. S|H Apartment by Yael Perry
Perry desired the apartment to feel bigger and lighter, so she designed the flat in only one color – white. She chose white parquet for the floors, white paint for the walls, and white carpentry and furniture.
While the fashionable tranquil style may look lovely in an article, this clean, all-white interior may simply wear you out. The all-white, minimalist style is impractical for most homes because white textiles, such as white leather, stain quickly. However, most users are left with potentially pricey cleaning and maintenance bills in the end.
Whether you love it or hate it, this aesthetic has defined the ethos of the past 5-6 years of the online design domain. Though, if the internet has shown us anything, it is that people enjoy admiring the art and design communities, adapt, grow, and respond to new ideas and sources of inspiration. So, while this look may be prevalent among those of us who incessantly refresh our Instagram and Pinterest feed, it is a style that will continue to filter down to the general community and alter and expand as it does. And for those who are always eager for the next new thing? Hang on, it’ll come!!
- Hana Abdel/Arch Daily (2021). White Skube House / Srijit Srinivas – ARCHITECTS [online]. Available at: https://www.archdaily.com/957033/white-skube-house-srijit-srinivas-architects [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- Hana Abdel/Arch Daily (2020). Canvas House for co-living / Ministry of Design [online]. Available at: https://www.archdaily.com/935471/canvas-house-for-co-living-ministry-of-design [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- Hana Abdel/Arch Daily (2021). Aesthetic Lab / CloudForm Laboratory [online]. Available at: https://www.archdaily.com/960478/aesthetic-lab-cloudform-laboratory [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- Jon Astbury/Dezeen (2019). Takashi Yamaguchi & Associates designs house in Japan based on a Möbius loop [online]. Available at: https://www.dezeen.com/2019/04/18/mobius-loop-topological-folding-house-takashi-yamaguchi-associates/ [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- Natasha Levy /Dezeen (2020). Curved forms and beige tones pervade Penthouse M by CJH Studio [online]. Available at: https://www.dezeen.com/2020/05/18/penthouse-m-apartment-interiors-australia/ [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- Arch Daily (2012). White Dormitory For Il Vento / Koichi Futatsumata [online]. Available at: https://www.archdaily.com/207131/white-dormitory-for-il-vento-koichi-futatsumata [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- Paula Pintos /Arch Daily (2021). XS House / ISA [online]. Available at: https://www.archdaily.com/931740/xs-house-isa?ad_source=search&ad_medium=search_result_all [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- Paula Pintos /Arch Daily (2021). House and the River / After Party [online]. Available at: https://www.archdaily.com/953853/house-and-the-river-after-party [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- India Block/Dezeen (2020). Mas-aqui gives a 1910s house in Barcelona a minimalist update [online]. Available at: https://www.dezeen.com/2020/06/11/mas-aqui-akari-house-barcelona-renovation-architecture/ [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- Eleanor Gibson /Dezeen (2017). Arquitectura-G uses only light tones for Barcelona apartment renovation [online]. Available at: https://www.dezeen.com/2017/02/26/reig-i-bonet-street-apartment-renovation-minimalism-arquitectura-g-barcelona-spain/ [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- Arch Daily (2015). Slice of the City / Alphaville Architects [online]. Available at: https://www.archdaily.com/775838/slice-of-the-city-alphaville [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- Arch Daily (2012). Ridge Apartment Complex in Gunma / SNARK + Ouvi [online]. Available at: https://www.archdaily.com/238478/house-in-gunma-snark-architecture?ad_medium=gallery [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].
- Arch Daily (2017). S|H Apartment / YAEL PERRY | INTERIOR DESIGNER [online]. Available at: https://www.archdaily.com/868836/s-h-apartment-yael-perry-interior-designe [Accessed date: 23/09/2021].