A blog is an informational website similar to a journal containing discrete posts on various topics. The subjects could range from philosophy, religion, and arts to sports and politics. Blogs could also comprise digital images and links apart from the text. There are different types of blogs differing in content that is delivered.
- Personal Blogs: It is an online diary written by an individual. There are usually fewer readers for this category of blogs.
- Collaborative Blogs: A weblog where the posts are written and published by multiple authors is a collaborative blog.
- Microblogging: It is the idea of posting small pieces of digital content. Common examples are Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Corporate or Organizational Blogs: A blog used for non-profit organizations or government purposes or business purposes.
Starting a blog is simple and affordable. The right tools and tips are necessary to start a successful blog. There are simple ways to set up an effective blog.
1. Unleash the Ideas Within
The blog one wishes to create, necessarily may not have out-of-the-box ideas. Instead, the experiences and opinions should be unique. The blog should focus on something specific. While picking a topic, it should be kept in mind that you enjoy learning about the topic and whether the readers would be interested in the topic. For example, if you are interested in gardening, it is wise to start a blog to share your knowledge about gardening or tips and tricks about gardening. It might be helpful to a mass of people.
2. Determine a Niche
It is necessary to be specific while selecting the topic. A blog niche refers to a specific topic area. The niche could focus on a target audience which could help in narrowing down the topic. While selecting a topic, it should be considered that the blog should add value to the readers’ lives.
3. Choose a Blogging Platform
There are currently various blogging platforms available to set up a blog. Selecting a suitable website to start blogging is an important step. Some of the websites which are popular for blogging are WordPress, Blogger, etc.
4. Choose a Domain Name and get Blog Hosting
A domain name is a title that will be displayed online, irrespective of the chosen niche. It is a distinct address on the web. It should be simple and catchy at the same time. Blog hosting is a service used to ensure that the blog is permanently available to potential readers. Thus, selecting a reliable hosting service is necessary as it provides the blog a room to grow. There are various websites available for reliable hosting and starting the blog. For instance, Bluehost is a premium website that guarantees secure hosting and creating a blog.
5. Select a Theme and Design
The next step after starting up a blog is to decide its appearance and layout. Themes allow the users to pick designs that don’t need coding or design knowledge. Numerous blogging websites offer free as well as premium themes for the users. The appearance should be minimalistic, and one that suits the desired niche. Bylt is one such website that offers the finest themes suited to the bloggers’ requirements.
6. Write and Publish Content
The framework is complete with a domain name, blog hosting site, and its appearance. The crucial aspect is the content. Compelling content is an essential part of a blog. The blog should also include information like the author, contact info, services, and resources. The publishing content should be original. It should convey the author’s perspective on the topic.
7. Optimize blog for Search Engines
After publishing the blog, it is necessary to attract traffic on the webpage for search engines (like Google). This process is known as Search Engine Optimisation. It involves various techniques to increase the readership. The main tactics used are Keyword optimization and SEO Meta tags.
Keyword optimization refers to the selection of particular keywords which people will search for to find information relating to the published blog.
SEO Meta tags are used by the search engine to understand what the website is about, which is not visible on the actual page. It has a title tag and the description tag.
8. Promote and Grow your blog
Once the blog is built and available on the internet, promotion and marketing activities help in growing the audience. This could be achieved by letting our close circles know about the new endeavor. This helps in building a basic audience for the blog. Also, there are blogger communities that help in connecting with other bloggers and spreading the content. Establishing a social media presence is an important facet and would certainly help in growing the blog.
9. Make Money blogging
Some users pursue blogging purely for their interest, while others might be interested in monetizing the blog. Blogging is about creating useful content and attracting readers. A possible consideration would be adding content to generate a future income. Possible ways of money blogging could be selling products and services, advertising, and sponsored reviews.
These were simple steps to set up a blog. Blogs are an excellent tool for community building and a medium to express opinions and views on various topics. The key to successful blogging lies in creating original content and conveying it aptly to the audience.
- firstsiteguide.com. (n.d.). How to Start a Blog (in 2020): Step-by-Step Beginner’s Guide. [online] Available at: https://firstsiteguide.com/start-blog/.
- Joshua Fields Millburn (2019). How to Start a Successful Blog in… [online] The Minimalists. Available at: https://www.theminimalists.com/blog/.
- https://www.facebook.com/thebalancecom (2019). What is Blogging and How Can It Help My Home Business. [online] The Balance Small Business. Available at: https://www.thebalancesmb.com/blogging-what-is-it-1794405.