College life-perhaps the most influential and memorable time of our lives. Fresh out of school, on the quest to find the best colleges offering the course that we would like to take up. Now, why do we choose the best or top colleges? Because we want to make the most out of our education and craft the future of our dreams. Just like in any other course, in Architecture as well, the choice of college can make a world of difference in terms of thought process, creative thinking and perception. Let’s look in detail at one of the top colleges of architecture in India, LSRSA.
About L.S. Raheja School of Architecture
L.S. Raheja School of Architecture located in Kherwadi, Bandra East, Mumbai is one of the top Architecture colleges in India. The college was founded by the Bombay Suburban Art & Craft Education Society in the year 1953. In 2007, LSRSA got affiliated with Bombay University and was approved by the Council of Architecture.
The college believes in building a community that nurtures and moulds students for the professional world. LSRSA trains its students in all dimensions. The students are encouraged and motivated to partake in extracurricular activities like sports, cultural events and competitions to make the students professional and all-rounders.
Goals and Vision for the students
- The faculties are well versed in educating the pupils in the most effective modes.
- The college goes out of its way to develop and practice whole personality training.
- One of the central goals of the college is to produce leaders who can tackle demanding needs and other complex challenges that the world seeks solutions for.
Objectives and Purpose
The most important quality and value that an architect must procure is Environmental sensitivity. This quality, when picked up right from college days, helps one become a very responsible architect. LSRSA promotes that and other requisite purposes that help the individual and the environment in the long run.
- The students are taught about the significance of design as a more humanistic and scientific practice.
- Unlike a lot of other colleges, LSRSA throws light on personal growth through critical thinking exercises.
- With a set of comprehensive programs, the students are prepared for the ever-changing and evolving world.
- The college believes in imparting the notion of excellence to set off students on the right path.
The college offers four courses, namely:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture (B.arch)- 5 years
- Master’s of Architecture in Landscape – 3 years (Part-time)
- Bachelor of Vocational Studies, Interior Design Programme
- Govt. Diploma in Interior Design and Decoration.
Facilities and Services
The college is well equipped to meet the technological conventions that the field of architecture demands today. With the use of technology, LSRSA creates an environment of healthy competition and learning. Students are encouraged to utilise the facilities provided to enhance and build their knowledge in Architecture.
- Sufficient floor space of approximately 1500 sqm for Academics.
- Large studios with modern drafting facilities for the individual student.
- Overhead LCD projection facility in lecture halls and studios.
- Centrally Air Conditioned Seminar and Audio Visual room capacity of 140 seats.
- Air-conditioned library with internet facility.
- Wi-Fi zones for students’ usage
- Material Bureau
- Photography Lab
- Carpentry Workshop
- These are some of the facilities out of many others that LSRSA entails.
The college is centrally located and is easily accessible by multiple modes of transportation. The campus is quite huge and well planned thereby, accommodating various functions and spaces.
Architecture colleges host more than just classrooms. Creative thinking demands creative and changing spaces.
The lecture hall in a semicircle seating arrangement is utilised for theoretical teaching. This type of seating promotes better interaction between the teacher and students.
The studios are flooded with natural light and breeze. The studio provides individual drafting tables and storage facilities. The idea of a studio is to unleash creative ideas in a more relaxed environment. The design studio at LSRSA is padded with soft boards to allow students to display their work and inspire others. The studio also becomes the students’ comfort zone after a point.
One can never read enough books. The library at LSRSA houses over 6000 architectural books, and 350+ ebooks for students make the most. Apart from that, the library has magazines and journals. The students can utilise the library of extensive research and just gaining knowledge in general.
The staff and students can get their hands on just about any book in the field of design, graphics, landscape, construction, interiors, theories, etc. The books and other materials are updated from time to time to provide the best learning to the students and staff.
The lab is well equipped with internet and 40 computers to cater to all the students. In architecture, 3D design software and visualisation play an important role. Students can benefit from the latest design and visualisation software installed in the computers to go about their work.
Art court display area
LSRSA believes in encouraging students to display their work to feel confident and share their ideas with everyone. This allows the exchange of design dialogues and thought processes.
The material bureau consists of the latest materials in the market, samples and catalogues. The students can then touch and feel materials and have a better understanding of their suitability and application.
This lab helps students gain an understanding of land surveys. The lab has the necessary equipment to help students do land surveys to create the site drawing before designing.
The climatology lab consists of instruments to help measure temperature, humidity, solar radiation, wind flow, wind direction. This helps students understand the climate of a place better and its working.
By doing this, students become environmentally aware and sensitive.
This space is often by students to make installations, life scale arches, creative wall bonds, prototypes of roofs, furniture etc. This enables students to understand the physical working of architecture and materials.
All in all, LS Raheja School of architecture checks almost all the boxes needed to produce good architects.
- lsrsa.edu.in. (n.d.). Courses of L. S. Raheja School of Architecture, Raheja Education, Sheila Raheja School of Architecture, Raheja Institute, Council of Architecture. [online] Available at: https://lsrsa.edu.in/default.aspx [Accessed 27 Aug. 2021].