Home is where the heart is, but what if you have too many?
Rented, bought, or commissioned… houses come to people in all shapes and sizes. It seems to always be a celebratory event when you go from one place to another. The wonder of new spaces and opportunities like bigger rooms or a garden always creates an air of excitement. But if you are one half of a billionaire duo, then the bar is set way higher. Forever famed couple Beyonce & Jay-Z have been together since 2001, and have since amassed many notable experiences in some of the world’s finest living quarters.
1. The Charming House in Houston (1981)
This classic brick house is where the journey of Beyonce Knowles began. It has large sloping roofs, asymmetric façade, and an iconic chimney, and the house was luxuriously designed in the French style. With larger than usual spaces in the house, enough for multiple ovens in a kitchen or an extra room for a home office or two spaces with fireplaces, it was a comfortable living for the quaint family of four.
This house also shows the line of Beyonce’s attached to the hometown of Houston, where she often came back for community events and drives. This 3,000 ft2 Chez Bey was originally bought by her parents at $64,000. And now? The current resale value is straight at $500,000, just due to the momentous value added to the architecture by its history and previous users. The same can be said for the upcoming houses in our list, as well as speaks of the community that we are. This speaks to the phenomenon of society where celebrities are put on a pedestal, and more times than not, their previous possessions become a world of wonder and high prices.
2. A Stop at the Third Ward (1986)
This house was in the Third Ward, one of the six historic districts, which became a center for the African-American community in the 1970s. Forever faithful to her Houston roots, Beyonce even based the music video of “Pretty Hurts” in this neighborhood, where she sings about the struggles of beauty pageant candidates.
The quiet and ambiently friendly neighborhood led to a greater bond between neighbors and community, and many can see this architecture follow suit with many American streets with an open front yard, directly connected to the street. However well this works in regular neighborhoods, it failed to keep the Knowles family safe from unexpected fans and media, and hence, security became a reason for the next shift.
3. Stationed in a New York City condo (2005)
After releasing her first solo album, Beyonce had her own money to move out of her family home, and into a space of her own. Moving to the East Coast, she decided on a classic NYC condo on the 44th floor. The highly sought-after location of the One Beacon Court Skyscraper held spectacular views of Central Park and the iconic skyline landscape of New York. These were fully utilized in the floor design, where a 2,669 ft2 condo had large floor-to-ceiling windows and integrated ICT connections. Reminiscing her childhood home, it was expertly furnished and finished by Parisian interior designer Jacques Grange.
The sophisticated floor plan shows how the apartment opened to two of the most important views of the location. In addition to this, the premise offered many benefits and luxuries such as a 24-hour doorman and security, private courtyard parking, personalized concierge service, a fitness center, and valet.
4. Secret wedding at Tribeca Penthouse (2004)
The next location is the 7th-floor plush penthouse in the heart of the artists at 195 Hudson Street. Dramatic as it may sound, it served as the location for their marriage in 2008, which was kept quiet with only a small group of friends and family invited into an ethereally decorated white wedding. The apartment spanned 8,000 square feet, with an additional 3,000 square feet of terrace space.
Such properties were designed to be for the exclusive and high of society. Accordingly, the residents of the building portray this till date. The façade design itself is made to feel solid and luxuriously made with earthy materials, while large openings showcase the spacious and well-lit rooms that it houses. As a literal cherry on top, the said penthouse provided, even more, privacy and space than the other floors for its inhabitants.
5. A Stately Midtown Manhattan Affair (2007)
A 3-bedroom, 76th-floor penthouse at the Time Warner Center was a property that Jay-Z had bought on the side.
The three-bedroom penthouse boasted floor-to-ceiling windows and a skyline view of the city, as well as unusual features like a fish tank that hung from the ceiling.
Eccentric design features such as this make one believe that this was specifically designed and furnished under the guidance of the owners, Jay Z & Beyonce, to make it a suitable home for their own visions.
6. The Waterfront Miami Rental (2008)
The next stop of the couple was on an exclusive island, Indian Creek Island, where they bought one of the only 35 Mediterranean-style villas. The whole island was planned and designed to be a gated community for its wealthy residents. The island had round-the-clock air and sea security, able to stop any intruders who tried.
Not only were they able to get a safe and secure compound, but they also lived in a large palatial mansion with seven bedrooms and eight bathrooms. With a private pool and much beautiful water feature along with the peninsula, the property itself provided many amenities and options to make the duo feel as comfortable and at ease as possible. With a private boat deck, they could even come and go as they pleased without the notice of their neighbors, who were also high-profile celebrities and people of importance.
7. Happy Bridgehampton’s Rental (2012)
As the duo continued in their rise of fame and riches, so did their properties and portfolios. This house in the Hamptons, although rented, provided much of what people would have envisioned in the homes of such celebrity millionaires. It housed a total of 11 bedrooms, 17 bathrooms, a wine room, two kitchens, a mud room, a 10-seat theater, a baseball field, a two-lane bowling alley, a basketball court, a club area with a DJ booth, a lounge with five TVs, a private spa with a fireplace, an in-floor Jacuzzi and much more.
A house to the first daughter of the house, Blue Ivy Carter, provided a safe environment for her to grow without the eye of the public which was necessary for her early development.
8. New Orleans historically renovated Residence (2015)
An interesting part of the story here is when Beyonce and Jay Z became enraptured by the Southern charm of New Orleans and decided they wanted to experience the culture. But this experience was more authentic and historic than one may think. Originally a 1927 church, then a beautifully ethereal dance school, and now into a residence. With a very Mardi Gras style, it stands iconic in its context and creates a window to the past with its preserved design.
Located in the NOLA Garden District, La Casa de Castille is a 13,254 ft2 house that has many quirky features, such as a set of floor-to-ceiling bookshelves and a unique rooftop garden.
9. The Pond House (2017)
After enjoying the environment, vibe, and aesthetics of the Hamptons for a couple years at this point, the duo parents decided to invest and buy a home there instead of just renting. The Pond House was located next to a 17-acre nature preserve and very hidden to the outside eye. It provided a great location for the 3 kids to run around and play without prying eyes.
Warm and inviting, the house was designed by famed designed Stanford White, and then constructed by contractor Jeffrey Colle with an orientation that is parallel to the Georgica Pond, so that each room on both levels looks out to the beauty of the nature that surrounds it.
10. Current Destination: A Bel-Air corner (2017)
Finally ending on the current and primary home of the Carter is a palatial megamansion located in Bel-Air that many can’t even begin to imagine. Housing eight bedrooms, eleven bathrooms, a 15-car garage, a spa, staff quarters, a home cinema, four pools, and a basketball court, this has become a seemingly forever home for the family of five. Many a time, fans of both celebrities can see family photos and dressed-up pictures for events taken in the calm of the house itself. This 30,000 ft2 residence is truly a feat of purchase in itself.
The design is stepped on a hill and goes upwards reflecting the landscape below with large pools, open spaces, gardens, and patios at each level. It allows any family member to have time to themselves, as well as grand spaces for family and extended circle groups.
Custom made by the couple, it reflects all of their wishes and visions of an ideal residence for the family of five to live comfortably and luxuriously in the privacy of their own property.
As we went through the story of Beyonce’s homes, we can see how she grew and how her success turned her into a striking portfolio-rich property owner with grand exotic tastes for her family and luxury. Let’s see where the duo keeps going in the future!
- Love Property (2021). Inside Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s beautiful houses [online]. Available at: www.loveproperty.com/gallerylist/100260/inside-beyonce-and-jayzs-beautiful-houses
- Kambili (2022). All The Homes That Beyoncé And Jay-Z Own [online]. Available at: https://www.housedigest.com/848513/all-the-homes-that-beyonce-and-jay-z-own/
- Manghnani, Devika (2020). 17 pictures and videos that take you inside Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s luxurious mansion in Bel Air, California [online]. Available at: https://www.vogue.in/culture-and-living/content/beyonce-jayz-bel-air-california-mansion-home-inside-pictures-videos
- Turner, Kim (2020). A Tour Through Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s Real Estate Empire [online]. Available at: https://streeteasy.com/blog/beyonce-jay-z-real-estate/
- Shivhare, Tamanna (2022). Beyonce’s House: Queen B’s Real Estate Realm [online]. Available at: https://www.squareyards.com/blog/beyonce-house-celebhm
- Homer, Michelle (2018). Beyonce’s childhood home for sale in Houston [online]. Available at: www.khou.com/amp/article/news/entertainment-news/beyonces-childhood-home-for-sale-in-houston/285-579809139
- Doge, Annie (2017). Beyoncé sells swanky Midtown apartment for $10M [online]. Available at: www.6sqft.com/beyonce-sells-swanky-midtown-apartment-for-10m/
- Goldman, Lean (2011). HOUSE OF THE DAY: An Asian Financier Just Bought Jay-Z’s Former NYC Penthouse For $31 Million [online]. Available at: https://www.businessinsider.com/jay-z-apartment-new-york-photos-2011-7?IR=T
- Sassall, Yeong (2021). Inside Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s storied New Orleans property, for sale for $5.9 million [online]. Available at: https://www.vogue.com.au/vogue-living/design/beyonce-jayz-new-orleans-home/image-gallery/417a9e83ff79098f219bfe8e89af4d32
- Finn, Lisa (2017). Beyoncé and Jay-Z Buy Beautiful $26M ‘Pond House’ In East Hampton [online]. Available at: https://patch.com/new-york/easthampton/beyonc-jay-z-buy-beautiful-26m-pond-lane-home-east-hampton