Located in Port Melbourne, the Stokes Street Residence encompasses elegantly layered spaces over two light-filled levels. Home to a young family of four, the interior design combines dark textural timber floors and joinery with statement touches of colour to reflect the client’s personality. Bespoke and unique detailing add scale and finesse to the interior spaces, while marble and polished plaster offset the dark tones to create a sense of balance.
Project Name: Stokes Street Residence
Firm Name: Adele Bates
Building levels: 2
Location: Melbourne , Australia
Photography: Chris Warnes
Within the bathrooms, tactile marble and tiles complement the elegantly simple joinery forms. Custom-made fittings in a brushed rose gold finish provide an unexpected accent to a lush palette of textures.
Project materials (please describe the materials used in 250 words):
• Polished Plaster
• Dark floorboards
• Tactile tiles
• Brushed rose gold fittings
• Textured furniture
• Bold colours
• Dark timber panelling and joinery
What were the design challenges and how were they overcome?
• The skinny footprint of the house presented a unique challenge – to create a layering of luxurious interior elements while maintaining visual clarity and a sense of spaciousness.
• To create a beautiful family home – a stylish, social and relaxed environment with a sense of relaxed lush.
• Flexibility to adapt and change to the growing family’s evolving needs.
• The clients wanted unique interior elements and detailing throughout.
• The internal elements such as the stair and joinery are designed with a strong linear direction to work with the plan of the home.
• Seamless design and unique detailing create a sense of scale and finesse.
• The use of marble offset with dark timber joinery reflect the client’s personal aesthetic.
• Custom made brushed rose gold fittings throughout provides a clean and bright contrast to the darker elements
What were the design outcomes?
• Balance of finishes and textures
• Flow through house
• Consistency of detail and scale
Where did you draw inspiration from for the project?
• Client loves modern, clean architecture. And have always been drawn to clean angles and white exteriors.
• Especially living near the beach, this was the ideal place for a modern, white beach side house.
Were there any unique aspects to the project you can tell us about?
• Very unique entry into the home with the fixed Pietro Russo shelving unit, this delineates the space into an entrance hall without visually closing off the entry and front room.