The commission proposes the construction of a service area next to the highway that connects Cantabria, in the north of Spain, with the interior of the country, in a mountainous area bordering the community of Castilla y León.
Studio Name: BUHO ARQUITECTS
Design Team: PEDRO SANCHEZ LOPEZ, JAVIER SANCHEZ LOPEZ
Area: 952 M2
Location: A67 HIGHTWAY (MATAPORQUERA). AGUILAR DE CAMPOO (PALENCIA) CASTILLA Y LEON. SPAIN
Photography Credits: BUHO ARQUITECTOS
The Project aims to vindicate the possibility of creating architecture in a building typology, such as that of gas stations and service areas in which the final image is usually the nondescript visible residue of the engineering process.
There is a desire to sensitize oneself to the surroundings of the mountains of Palencia, through a set of sloping roofs that underline the broken profile of the horizon. At the same time, the porticos over the refueling canopies are the threshold that gives way to the driver to the Cantabrian Campoo region that can be seen in the distance.
The hotel and shop uses are separated into independent buildings, which favors a more fragmented image and reduces the scale of the building in relation to its surroundings. Inside, an industrial image is sought, with polished concrete floors, painted factory walls and exposed installations. The wood decoration is the warm counterpoint and the echo of the dialogue established between the roofs and the exterior landscape.
This has allowed the execution of civil works, urbanization and installations with a very tight budget of €1,000,000, taxes not included.
Buho Arquitectos SLP is an architecture studio based in Valladolid (Spain) since 2004.
Founders: Javier Sánchez López and Pedro Sanchez López, desing architects.
– Castilla y León Sustainable Construction Awards. V edition 2013-2014. Honorable mention for “Palet Project” in Valladolid. (Ephimerarch Collective).
– Selected for the work of the year 2018 of the Archidaily website for the Reform of the Casa de la Aguada for a restaurant in Valladolid.
– Castilla y León Architecture Awards. XI edition 2018-2020. Mention in the Rehabilitation category for “Narrow house with a narrow patio in Covarrubias”.
– Castilla y León Architecture Awards. XI edition 2018-2020. Mention in the category of Interior Design and other interventions for “Covarrubias Visitor Reception Center”.
– Castilla y León Sustainable Construction Awards. VIII edition 2019-2020. First prize for “Cardboard Project” in Valladolid. (Ephimerarch Collective)
– Biennial of Spanish Architecture. XV edition 2019-2020. Selected for the work “Casas Patio Mirasol” in Arroyo de la Encomienda (Valladolid).
– Dezeen Awards 2022. Selected for his work “Winnery Barco del Corneta” (La Seca – Valladolid. Spain).