Degree in Construction Management to oversee a construction project onsite, choose and verify the materials used, make important decisions, and manage clients and other consultants while learning from the onsite projects, construction management is the career path for you. Construction managers, site consultants and other site related technicians are very much in need of the industry today as there is a constant need for buildings to perform efficiently for the users, environment and servicing staff. It has become immensely important to keep up with the new cutting edge technologies, and innovative materials and be effective coordinators to fulfil all the requirements of the projects. This would be a perfect time to act on that urge to work on-site and go for a degree in construction management.
One can choose to study construction management as a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree. To approach it as a master’s would require the student to have a bachelor’s degree in the construction field such as civil engineering, architecture, or other related courses. The website study portal suggests 5 best universities to study construction management (Balan, 2022), as follows,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US
University of Cambridge, UK
Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
University of Sydney, Australia
We will be exploring a few more options, lest we be left without opportunities for better prospects and choices.
1. University College London, United Kingdom | Degree in Construction Management
Program: MSc Construction Economics and Management
Duration: 1 year
This program is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and is undertaken by the Barlett School of Sustainable Construction(“Construction Economics and Management MSc,” 2021). UCL is a well known and critically acclaimed institution that has won various accolades in the past years. It is also a traditional university with a huge history. The program is offered in London, Bloomsbury. This will give the students wide and varied exposure to different professionals in the field.
2. Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Program: MSc Management of Built Environment
Duration: 2 years
This course is taught by the School of Urban Planning Construction Engineering and School of Industrial and Information Engineering, on the Milano Leonardo campus (Politecnico di Milano, n.d.). The course runs for two years with one year comprising of the practical internship. It serves as a good opportunity to learn by training on the job. It could give a better working exposure and therefore a finer understanding of the nitty-gritty details of the work. Politecnico di Milano is a widely appreciated university with a long trail of good ranking over the years.
3. University of Manchester, United Kingdom | Degree in Construction Management
Program: MSc Construction Project Management
Duration: 1 year
The course is provided by the school of Engineering which will soon be housed in the new facility of the Manchester Engineering Campus Development (MECD). The University of Machester has a global ranking for its facilities and research. It is known for its historic significance in education and its academic excellence. The MSc in Construction Project Management is accredited by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and is listed by the Joint Board of Moderators (JMB) as being an Approved Further Learning Scheme for Chartered Engineer status (the University of Manchester, n.d.).
4. University of Auckland, New Zealand
Program: MEngSt Construction Management
Duration: 1.5 years
The course deals with subjects like Construction Supply Chain Management, Infrastructure Asset Management and Engineering Contracts for Projects. The aim is to build confidence for working in an industry known for its dynamic, complex and unpredictable nature (University of Aukland, n.d.). The course has a meticulous and detailed study of each aspect of the subject in consideration spread across 3 semesters. The University of Aukland holds a prestigious ranking in the list of world universities and is one of the most famous campuses.
5. University of South Wales, Australia | Degree in Construction Management
Program: Bachelor of Construction Management and Property
Duration: 3 years
The program consists of 20 core modules, 2 interdisciplinary courses and 2 general education courses dealing with topics like property development, construction technology and Economics and law. The degree is one of the most respected in Australia and there is a strong emphasis on construction and property economics. The course is given on the Kensington campus, a diverse one. There is also a master’s degree countering the bachelor’s. One can pursue a master’s if they had a bachelor’s degree in a construction-related field. (unsw, n.d.)
6. Arizona State University, United States
Program: MS Construction Management and Technology
Duration: 2 years
The program is facilitated by the faculty of the Del E. Webb School of Construction. Apart from modules like construction management, and residential and commercial development, the course delves into two other elements of heavy construction infrastructure development and speciality construction like mechanical and electrical systems. The course is provided both on-campus in Tempe and online.GRE scores are essential to apply to this course(ASU, n.d.). Arizona State University has an impressive record of successful alumni and is well ranked on the list of World Universities.
7. New York University, New York | Degree in Construction Management
Program: MS Construction Management
Duration: 2 years
The program is facilitated by the school of professional studies at Schack Institute of Real Estate. The city provides Schack students with a laboratory for the latest innovations in the construction industry. The course has a thorough and meticulously planned coursework with detailed modules while incorporating practical hands-on training as a part of the coursework. There are also a lot of options to choose from for the elective module(NYU, n.d.).
8. Xi’an Jiaotong – Liverpool University, China
Program: MSc Construction Management
Duration: 1.5 years
The program is given on the overseas campus in Suzhou by the design school. The degree is recognised in China and internationally allowing the students to practice in different locations. The course is taught in English spread over 3 semesters.
9. Clemson University, United States
Program: Master of Construction Science and Management
The course is STEM-designated and accredited by the American Council for Construction Education. It is known for its flexible and elaborate distance learning program and is one of the few courses that are widely accepted for being so. The program has been consistently recognized by many national construction organizations including the Associated General Contractors of America and the National Center for Construction Education and Research. The program has a thesis and non-thesis option and those graduating from it are eligible to apply to Clemson’s PhD program in Planning, Design, and the Built Environment (PDBE (Clemson University, n.d.).
10. Coventry University, United Kingdom | Degree in Construction Management
Program: BSc Construction Management (Hons)
Duration: 3 years
Coventry University is ranked no. 1 for Building and Town and Country Planning by the Guardian in 2021. The course is also accredited by the Charted Institute of Building (CIOB) and the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (cabe). The course is spread over 3 years with a variety of individual and group projects including a placement year (University Coventry, n.d.). This could give a unique on the job experience and more insight into the industry and a head start on a career.
- ASU, n.d. Construction Management and Technology, MS – MS [WWW Document]. ASU Degree Search. URL https://degrees.apps.asu.edu/masters-phd/major/ASU00/ESCONSTMS/construction-management-and-technology-ms (accessed 5.10.22).
- Bachelor of Construction Management and Property [WWW Document], n.d. . UNSW Sites. URL https://www.unsw.edu.au/study/undergraduate/bachelor-of-construction-management-and-property?studentType=International (accessed 5.9.22).
- Balan, R.S., 2022. Should I Study for a Construction Management Degree in 2022? Studyportals.
- Clemson University, n.d. Master of Construction Science and Management [WWW Document]. Master of Construction Science and Management. URL https://www.clemson.edu/caah/academics/nfcsm/graduate/index.html (accessed 5.10.22).
- Construction Economics and Management MSc [WWW Document], 2021. . Prospective Students Graduate. URL https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught-degrees/construction-economics-and-management-msc (accessed 5.9.22).
- MSc Construction Project Management (2022 entry) [WWW Document], n.d. . The University of Manchester. URL https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/courses/list/04218/msc-construction-project-management/ (accessed 5.9.22).
- NYU, n.d. MS in Construction Management [WWW Document]. sps.nyu.edu. URL https://www.sps.nyu.edu/homepage/academics/masters-degrees/ms-in-construction-management.html (accessed 5.10.22).
- Politecnico di Milano: Details Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) [WWW Document], n.d. URL https://www.polimi.it/?id=6502&anno=2021&campus=&scuola=&corso=1096&L=1 (accessed 5.9.22).
- Postgraduate study in Construction Management [WWW Document], n.d. . The University of Auckland. URL https://www.auckland.ac.nz/en/study/study-options/find-a-study-option/construction-management/postgraduate.html (accessed 5.9.22).
- University, C., n.d. Construction Management BSc (2022/23) [WWW Document]. Coventry University. URL https://www.coventry.ac.uk/course-structure/ug/eec/construction-management-bsc-hons/?term=2022-23 (accessed 5.10.22).