An institute of architecture is based on the theme “components of building”. The components of building, techniques, and the industry involved in the assembly and erection of structures, primarily those used to provide shelter.
Project Name: Designing of an Institute of Architecture
By: Vishal Nara
The components of building thus involve an understanding of the nature and characteristics of several materials; the methods to process and form them into building units and components; structural principles; stability and behavior under load.
“Components of Building” is divided into two categories:
- Substructures – structures used below the ground level.
- Superstructure – structures used above ground level.
Design includes the idea to make students learn and practically experience the components of building for their better understanding about architecture. The use of different components of building, which a student studies during the five year course of architecture are such incorporated around the architectural institute at appropriate spaces, so that student learns by observing them practically.
The design uses only one subtype of components of building i.e superstructure, components of building, which include types of roofs, trusses, slab, columns, wall masonry, piers, arches, lintels, false ceiling, flooring, staircase, railings, doors, and windows. It focuses on their design, construction techniques and as well as their material.
The institute of architecture, is a higher education institute, specializing education and research in the field of urban planning, architecture, landscape etc and designing a campus for such an institute includes many other amenities as hostels, cafes, playground, guest houses, staff quarters etc.
- The main concept is observational and practical learning of a student. Relating this to cone of vision of a human being which is 120°, used for observing things. Viewpoints have been set at road along the two sides of the site, the viewpoints are set at 40m distance to get 7 points and overlapping them gives the outline of the institute building.
- As there is a restriction of 15m in height, the building stretches horizontally and to balance it, elements have been used to enhance the building’s esthetics vertic lly, such as y-columns, vertical louvers, piers etc.
- The design of architectural institute, emphasizing on components of building allows better learning of every architecture student, observing components practically inside the campus.
- A buffer zone at the main entrance of the campus is provided for the checking of heavy vehicles.
- The concept of mutual shading is used by lifting the western side intentionally. The upper floors from the eastern side are shortened to use the mutual shading concept. Different levels have been provided to increase the height accordingly.
- The cantilever is designed at the west and southside to cut off the excessive heat.
- Hostel design is adaptive to nature, it merges with the surrounding nature.
- A sculpture has been designed showing the five elements of vastushastra (vastu+kala = architecture)
- Landscaping in the campus shows the architectural tools used by students like set squares, Protractors etc.