While browsing through the vast expanses of today’s markets, we are greeted by a variety of products. How people choose these products, all lie in their presentation, i.e. the packaging. Packaging of different sizes, shapes, and colors, works to attract buyers to the product, combining visual character and functional designs to stand out in these markets. It is the first tool that lures the public to the product and can make or break its sales, highlighting the importance of Packaging Design.
Packaging Design, the primary step in product marketing, merges the limitless potential of aesthetical design with the practicality and functionality of product use. It is an often-ignored field that has a large impact on the smaller, day to day, decisions of people. It not only includes the use of colors and shapes but consists of detailing based on various factors like the characteristics of the product held, the material choice, costs, etc.
With today’s great market boom and social development, it is no surprise that the field has evolved a great deal from what it was, with an ever-increasing scope and an ever-increasing impact.
Evolution of Packaging Design as a Field
As the market has developed a great deal to what it is today, the packaging industry has developed along with it. Due to a sudden outpour of a variety of new products and companies for the public, the Industrial Revolution led to the initial popularity of packaging design. With a change in product development and demand, the industry saw a transformation, largely due to the arrival of new ideologies, new social beliefs, and new technology all in search of a new way of life for people of all social groups.
There was a major transformation of packaging design because of several developments in society in terms of beliefs and lifestyles. Additionally, advancements in technology and knowledge, along with the arrival of new materials and new products in the markets, resulted in a diversification of the field.
Several factors contribute to the popularity of packaging design today. Various changes in costs and technology, the use of social media, and the urge for sustainability have pushed designs in new and innovative directions. The industry is always in search of innovative methods and creative solutions to allow itself to evolve and keep up with the changing times.
Scope of Packaging Design
Packaging design is an ever-growing field in today’s world, largely due to an increase in the number of brands and amounts of products in the markets around the world. The industry requires a combination of technical skills along with creative displays to make sure a product stands out in today’s expansive markets. One must also keep in mind the implications of these designs on the daily choices of the everyday man.
There is also a constant urge to grow with the changing world in terms of sustainability, cost reduction, and brand transparency. While going about the packaging industry as a career, there is a score of options available to work on, within the field itself. This includes several jobs related to the following:
- Engineering: This involves coming up with the initial conceptual design of the package, along with the study of materials, forms, and mechanical means required for the production of the boxes, bottles, and cartons, keeping in mind the various specific requirements. It highlights the more technical and practical requirements of the field.
- Design: The design team deals with the combination of the aesthetics and functionality of the packaging. The use of creative visuals and more user-based efficiency to highlight the product and increase popularity.
- Production: These specialists deal with the direct execution of the designs with the use of new technology and innovative methods for maximum and efficient packaging production, shipping, and storage.
- Management: This part of the team is required to manage the entire process of design, including connecting all the various supporting jobs and expanding the business, while taking care of operational, research, sales, and legal aspects.
- Marketing: Teams including product testers, consumer behavior specialists, etc. work for ensuring maximum popularity and success of the packaging design in terms of consumer-based requirements, to allow the packaging of the product to excel and expand.
- Supporting jobs: These jobs highlight the extensive scale of the industry. They work to assure the complete success of the package designs, by managing various user-related aspects of the design through jobs like compliance officers, food security specialists, packaging specialists, etc.
Packaging design plays a role in a variety of industries including the food processing industry, pharmaceutical industry, personal care packaging amongst others. Each industry requires specialists to convert information about the product into a viable packaging design solution.
Skills you need to be a Packaging Designer
While deciding on a career in packaging design, it is essential to possess a holistic view of the field. One must understand the consumer relation aspect of design and translate the needs of the general public into an aesthetic and functional design that will attract users. Those interested in pursuing a career in the field must be practical, creative, and detail-oriented. The field requires innovative answers, quick and varied problem-solving capabilities with a constant strive for practical and unique designs.
Qualifications required in Packaging Design
Packaging design can be taken as a viable option after a variety of educational qualifications. Those with a background in mechanical engineering, product design, graphic design, production and manufacturing engineering, marketing, material sciences, etc., can easily find a career option in the field. Many universities also offer Packaging design as a postgraduate course, to train students for specializing in the field.
Various online courses offer a comprehensive model to entering the field, with a number of guides to learn required designing softwares, master eco-packaging, as well as step by step guides to enter the field.
Whether it’s a bear-shaped bottle, a tiny Turquoise box, or a ‘pop art’ can of soup, packaging design can easily be equated to the success of a product in the market. With the main focus of creating memorable visuals, using logos, symbols, and icons, packaging design primarily works for highlighting the product and its use.
There is a constant transformation of the industry, due to rapid urbanization, rising consumer awareness, demand for consumer convenience, and a surplus of brands and products in the market. Even today, it acts as the central tool in marketing, using a combination of catchy designs, functional forms, and iconic designs to allow the product to shine in the markets.
- packagingdigest.com. (2017). 10 hottest careers in the consumer packaging industry. [online] Available at: https://www.packagingdigest.com/packaging-education-and-training/10-hottest-careers-consumer-packaging-industry.
- Employment News Paper Weekly – Rojgar Samachar. (2018). Career Scope Of Packaging Industry In India. [online] Available at: https://www.employment-newspaper.com/career-scope-packaging-industry-india/ [Accessed 27 Aug. 2021]
- Times of India Blog. (2020). Evolution of the packaging industry and why “sustainable packaging” is the future. [online] Available at: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/blogs/voices/evolution-of-the-packaging-industry-and-why-sustainable-packaging-is-the-future/ [Accessed 27 Aug. 2021].
- Dvornechuck, A. (2021). Top 10 Best Packaging Design Courses Online in 2021 (Free & Paid). [online] Medium. Available at: https://medium.com/ebaqdesign/top-10-best-packaging-design-courses-online-in-2021-free-paid-b62589bfdc4b [Accessed 27 Aug. 2021].
- Study.com. (2019). Package Designer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements. [online] Available at: https://study.com/articles/Package_Designer_Job_Description_Duties_and_Requirements.html.
- www.roberthalf.com. (2017). Hot Job: Package Designer. [online] Available at: https://www.roberthalf.com/blog/salaries-and-skills/hot-job-package-designer.