World’s Tallest Monument – Statue of Unity, is ready for Inauguration this month end on 31st October 2018. The monument statue represents Indian National Congress leader and the first Deputy prime minister of India Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel which is constructed facing the Narmada Dam, 3.2 km away on the river island called Sadhu Bet. The total height of the statue from its base will be 240-metre consisting base level of 58 metres and statue of 182 metres. It is constructed with steel framing, reinforced cement concrete and bronze cladding. The statue needed 75000 cubic metres of concrete, 5700 metric tonne steel structure, 18500 tonnes reinforced steel rods, 22500-tonne bronze sheets for construction. In the first phase, a bridge connecting the memorial to the mainland, a memorial, visitor centre buildings, a memorial garden, a hotel, a convention centre, an amusement park, research centres and institutes is being constructed.
Designer: Ram V. Sutar
Architect: Joseph Menna
Height: 182 m
Location: Sadhu bet, Near Sardar Sarovar Dam, Garudeshvar weir, Narmada district, Gujarat, India
Construction begins: 31 October 2013
Inauguration: 31 October 2018/
The Statue of Unity is designed as a naturalistic and historically accurate representation of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, wearing characteristic garments, in a walking stance. Some highlights of this project:
- Bronze cladding on the Statue.
- Fast elevators to reduce transit time for visitors.
- The three-level base of the Statue – exhibit floor, mezzanine and roof – will contain a Memorial Garden and a large continuous museum/exhibition hall, comprising exhibits that focus on the life and contributions of Vallabhbhai Patel.
- The observation deck, situated at a height of around 500 ft from the river bed, will accommodate up to 200 people at a time. It will provide visitors with a panoramic view, enabling them to see the beautiful Satpura and Vindhyachal mountain ranges, the 212 km long Sardar Sarovar Reservoir, and the 12 km long Garudeshwar Reservoir. For the comfort of the visitors against high wind forces, a 400-ton Tuned Mass Damper system has been provided above the observation deck.
- Access to the Statue via a 5 km boat ride.
- A large modern canopied public plaza, overlooking the Narmada River and the Statue, comprising food stalls, ornate gift shops, retail kiosks and other amenities, that will provide visitors with a well-rounded tourist experience.
It isn’t until one stands below the statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel that the enormity of the creation hits home. The 182-metre tall Statue of Unity-twice the size of the Statue of Liberty-will is the world’s tallest statue once it’s ready, a sheer marvel of engineering being pieced together by an army of over 3,000 workers, including 300 engineers from infrastructure major Larsen & Toubro (L&T). The statue is to be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 31 to coincide with the 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Patel.