House 19 is located on the site of the Technical University of Applied Sciences (TH) Wildau.
It is a former listed industrial hall of the hardening shop of the locomotive construction company Berliner Maschinenbau-Aktiengesellschaft (BMAG), formerly “L. Schwartzkopff Berlin “. In the 1950s, it was converted into a two-storey multipurpose building.
Project Name: Camous Wildau
Studio name: SSP Rüthnick Architekten
Location: Hochschulring, 15745 Wildau, Brandenburg, Germany
Client: Brandenburgischer Landesbetrieb für Liegenschaften und Bauen (BLB)
Architect: SSP Rüthnick Architekten
Services: LP 3-9
GFA: 1,260 m²
GBV: 4,997 m3
Building costs: 3.9 Mio. €
Structure Planning: STB Sabotke-Timm & Partner Beratende Ingenieure VBI, 14480 Potsdam, Germany
Building Services: Ing.Büro Schurmann Bretschneider, 03149 Forst, Germany
IB Hauptmann GmbH, 03149 Forst, Germany
PFI Planungsbüro Freier Ingenieure, 12681 Berlin, Germany
Outdoor Facilities: Ahner Brehm, Partnerschaftsgesellschaft
von Ingenieuren, 15711 Königs Wusterhausen, Germany
Photograph: Kevin Fuchs, Berlin, Germany
With the current refurbishment and renovation, a day care center with 26 places, a student club for up to 200 guests and office space for the university employees could be realized.
The steel skeleton facades of the building with the infill of masonry were repeatedly changed during the hundred years of use (built in 1913): The biggest intervention was the closing of the large window openings and the installation of a two-storey office façade in the 50s. In the course of the construction work, the façade was renewed and the window arrangement restructured. These are now based on the original vertical façade structure and make the old hall structure recognizable.
Energetically, the building envelope could be brought up to date. The outer walls were given an inner insulation with poroton bricks due to an energetic complicated façade construction with a continuous steel framework, in order to fulfill the minimum thermal protection.
The historic patina of the façade with its different time layers of different bricks and discoloration has been preserved. Damaged bricks and subsequently inserted bricks that did not match the original color were replaced.
The inner development system has been rearranged according to the types of use. Each use has received a separate access. The two existing staircases between ground and first floor could be maintained. The basement received a new interior access. An emphasis was given to the detailed restoration of the staircases. A modern color concept creates accents in the historic interior.
On the upper floor, the architects uncovered the historic steel framework of the roof truss with a span of 13.5 meters. The appearing saddle skylights are used for room lighting with daylight.
The area of the former Schwarzkopffwerke, built around 1897, is a listed building ensemble. After the master plan of the architect Gottfried Böhm, the buildings for the TH Wildau have been renovated since 1995. The result is a lively campus, which has a high attraction for applicants.