Delhi is a city and a union territory of India. It is officially designated as the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi. It comprises New Delhi, the capital of India. Delhi has many multi-storied buildings but not skyscrapers. According to the Masterplan of Delhi 2020, there were some restrictions on the FSI of buildings. But these restrictions are dissolving slowly which is evident by the Masterplan of Delhi 2021. Soon we will experience a skyscraper in Delhi too.
Following is the list of the top 15 tall buildings in Delhi built to date. These are arranged in descending order:
1. Civic Center
It is the tallest building in Delhi to date. It is a skyscraper with a height of 101 meters. It is a multi-storeyed building comprising four 6-story building blocks and one 28-story tower block. Built for Rs 500-650 crore, the building was designed by Ar. Shirish Malpani in the year 2010. The structural material used in this building is concrete. It is mainly used for governmental and commercial offices, but the side usage of this building is for a library, museum as well as a clubhouse.
2. Palika Kendra
It is also known as New Delhi Municipal Council. It was built in 1984 by Ar. Kuldip Singh. It is a commercial office building with a height of 91 meters. It is one of the few structures in India that features Brutalist architecture style. The total number of floors in this building is 23 above ground. In the year 2013, the Heritage Conservation Committee (HCC) of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs) designated Palika Kendra as “modern heritage,” which brought it under the protection of the Delhi Building Bylaws, 1983.
It is a high-rise building used for commercial and hotels. The height of the building is 88 meters with a total of 21 floors above ground. Its construction ended in the year 1971. It is located in Connaught Place in New Delhi.
4. Ambadeep Towers
This building constructed in 1992 acquired a height of 83.82 meters. There are 23 floors above ground. It stands as a landmark on Kasturba Gandhi Marg in central Delhi due to the architectural character of this building inspired by the exquisite Persian tile work. It has an amalgam of Indian, Persian, Neoclassical, and modern architecture. It is one of the tallest buildings in the world to have an art mural. The architect of the building is C.P. Kukreja Associates Pvt. Ltd.
5. Vikas Minar
It is a commercial office building constructed back in 1976. This high-rise building has a height of 82 meters with a total of 23 floors above ground. It is located at the Indraprastha Marg, New Delhi.
6. Hindustan Times House
It is the headquarters of one of the largest newspapers in India, the Hindustan Times. It is located on Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi. It acquired a height of 80 meters. There are a total of 18 floors in this building above ground. It was constructed in 1973.
7. IFCI Tower
It is a commercial building located in Nehru Place of south Delhi. It was constructed by Ar. Raja Aederi Consultants Pvt. Ltd. back in the year 1991. There are 19 floors above ground in this building having a total height of 74.40 meters.
8. Scope Twin Towers
Its alternate name is Scope Minar. It is a conventional centre located in Laxmi Nagar District Centre, Delhi. It is a commercial building with 21 floors and a height of 72 meters. Architecturally, it is designed in a form of two high curvilinear tower blocks that are supported by four-story circular podium blocks. It was constructed in 1973.
9. Statesman House
It is a 17- story commercial building. It has 3 floors below ground. The height of this building is 72 meters. It is located on the main Barakhamba Road, New Delhi. It was constructed in 2001.
10. Bank of Baroda Building
It is the lbb Delhi branch of Bank of Baroda located at 16, Sansad Marg, New Delhi. It acquired a height of 64.01 meters with 15 floors above ground.
11. Eros Corporate Towers
It is a commercial high-rise office building with a height of 63 meters. The total floor in this building is 15 above ground. It was constructed in 2003. It is located at Nehru Place, New Delhi.
12. Rashtrapati Bhavan
It is also known as the Presidential House. It was constructed in 1929 by Ar. Edwin Lutyens. It is 55 meters tall with 6 floors above ground. It covers an area of 321 acres. It represents Indo Islamic architecture with the Delhi Order. Its location is at Rajpath, New Delhi.
13. Kailash Building
It is a commercial high-rise building on the main KG Marg, Connaught Place, New Delhi. The height of this building is 52.73 meters with 12 floors above ground. It was constructed in 2005.
14. Himalaya House
It is a commercial building in the CBD of Delhi, on the main KG Marg, New Delhi. It has a height of 51.82 meters with 14 floors above ground.
15. Jeevan Prakash
This commercial office building is located at 25, Kasturba Marg, New Delhi. There are 11 floors above ground in this building. The height acquired by it is 51.21 meters.
- STR Germany GmbH (2019). New Delhi | Statistics | EMPORIS. [online] Emporis.com. Available at: https://www.emporis.com/statistics/tallest-buildings/city/100258/new-delhi-india [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- Hindustan Times. (2018). Delhi’s new skyscraper: If more sprout, will it be good or bad for the cityscape? [online] Available at: https://www.hindustantimes.com/delhi-news/delhi-s-new-skyscraper-if-more-sprout-will-it-be-good-or-bad-for-the-cityscape/story-5p0AhJk5Q1ZnSgQ6hLo0uI.html [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- ANUSHA ROY, F/O ARCHITECTURE AND EKISTICS JAMIA MILLIA ISLAMIA NEW DELHI 25. (2012). [online] . Available at: https://archue.com/upload-file/CIVIC_CENTER.pdf [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- STR Germany GmbH (2019). Palika Kendra, New Delhi | 104608 | EMPORIS. [online] Emporis.com. Available at: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/104608/palika-kendra-new-delhi-india [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- wikimapia.org. (n.d.). Hansalaya – Delhi. [online] Available at: http://wikimapia.org/463950/Hansalaya [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- Workthere. (n.d.). Ambadeep Towers New Delhi. [online] Available at: https://www.workthere.com/en-in/spaces/ambadeep-towers/ [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- www.wikiwand.com. (n.d.). Hindustan Times – Wikiwand. [online] Available at: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Hindustan_Times [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- kanwaltharejaarchitects.com. (n.d.). About The Architect | TDA. [online] Available at: http://kanwaltharejaarchitects.com/about-architect.php [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- www.scopeconventioncentre.in. (n.d.). SCOPE. [online] Available at: http://www.scopeconventioncentre.in/SCOPE-Convention-Centre-Laxmi-Nagar.html [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- SCOPE. (n.d.). SCOPE. [online] Available at: https://scopeonline.in/scope/ [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- JLL Property India. (n.d.). Statesman House for lease. [online] Available at: https://property.jll.co.in/office-lease/delhi/connaught-place/statesman-house-ind-p-000hiw [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- rashtrapatisachivalaya.gov.in. (n.d.). Rashtrapati Bhavan. [online] Available at: https://rashtrapatisachivalaya.gov.in/rbtour/ [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- JLL Property India. (n.d.). Kailash Building for lease. [online] Available at: https://property.jll.co.in/office-lease/delhi/connaught-place/kailash-building-ind-p-0008sq [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].
- HSN Realty Services India Pvt. Ltd. | Office Space in Gurgaon, Furnished Offices in Delhi, Real Estate Agents Noida | Property Agents, Corporate Leasing Consultants, Advisers. (n.d.). 2500 sq.ft Furnished Office Space, Himalaya House, Connaught Place. [online] Available at: http://www.hsnrealestate.com/commercial/2500-sq-ft-furnished-office-space-himalaya-house-connaught-place/ [Accessed 12 Sep. 2021].