La vie géométrique” is a light and durable home installation system that makes comfort a priority. Without nails or screws it provides a constructive solution for structural elements such as partition walls, desks or sofas.
Studio Name: smarin
Design Team: smarin
Photography Credits: ©smarin
A set of blocks of pure materials, of carefully thought-out sizes and material compositions manufactured by hand and by means of a sustainable production process.
Together, this ensemble forms a nomenclature of a hypothetical utopian habitat, in which geometry achieves flexibility.
The designs aspire to produce a simplicity that feeds into our vital desires while simultaneously respecting a natural and fundamental equilibrium. Smarin focuses its research on the invention of objects that provide both a limited physical impact on the human body and a minimal impact on the world’s ecosystem.
A system of construction
– non-toxic materials
– frugality: simplicity of equipment and optimal use of materials
– Solidity of the ensemble and a strong weight capacity
– longevity: easy to clean, maintain and renovate as new
– ergonomics: adaptable to all spaces, heights and suppleness of shapes
– structural malleability within different spaces and a harmony with presiding architectural forms and volumes
– economical: objects can be rearranged to fit every location, creating an optimal use of new spaces or changes of habitat. Thus, objects acquire a new life and a unique visual impact within every setting.
– reversibility: one set can form either a sofa, desk or wall shelf.
Furniture made reversible and poly-functional
Play YET! is conceived as a polyvalent and reversible furniture system.
A composition of solid wooden shapes (oak boards and beech bearings) and blocks of cork are used as the base for making strong and resistant structures:
Without any nails or screws, these constructions are both solid and dismountable.
Each part is made with pure and untreated materials that are carefully chosen for their natural qualities:
Cork is known for its anti-static, thermal, sound-proofing and ecological properties. Harvesting this recyclable material also contributes to forest sustainability. Its mechanical and physical attributes are remarkable: lightness in weight, elasticity, resistance to rot, impermeability and longevity…
Wood is made from untreated solid oak, a product that is durable and resistant to its surroundings. These natural and sustainable materials are both easy to clean and restore.
With these standard shapes the possibilities of construction are endless, creating poly-functional objects: shelves and storage units, desks, canapés and sofas, armchairs, wall partitions and even children’s dens…
This particular ease and functional adaptability within different spaces makes moving, planning spaces, and any other layout arrangements a pure pleasure.