We often say that ‘Art is limitation’, but limitation could never be used to describe the history, and what is history if not an art in itself. If we talk about art history, we know it is an understanding of how the social world functions, how human experiences have shaped the present-day world, and what more is to follow. Humans are synched to the past through history. We learn and develop from previous experiences. History contains information about the lives lived before. Information has been passed down through generations in the form of text, graphics, movies, and many other ways. Curiosity is the fuel for discovery. This curiosity and wonder about the aspects of human history are what led to the study of Art history. The branch that uses art products like paintings, architecture, sculpture, graphics, and other forms of art to understand the world and the societies in which they were created is called Art History.
1. M.A. in Art History and Aesthetics
Art history is the branch of history that studies human evolution through artistic production such as paintings, architecture, sculpture, graphics, and other forms of art. The study cultivates visual literacy and appreciation for aesthetics in candidates.
With the study of Art History 9and Aesthetics, candidates explore more about world civilization in terms of art culture and aesthetics. It provides awareness about social cultures, values, and diverse forms of art and architecture art.
Job profiles available after a master’s degree in MA in Art History are Art consultants, appraisers, conservators, and curators.
2. M.A. in Art Education
A Master’s degree in Art Education focuses on developing skills in candidates to create art and appreciate or criticize art, or both. It provides a better understanding of art, emotional connection, and knowledge about how artwork links with artists. It also educates candidates that their contribution is important for the collaborative nature of the arts.
Those who graduate can become teachers, freelance artists, designers, visualizers, and administrators of art programs i.e., councilors, supervisors, curators, art critics & historians.
3. M.A. in Ancient Indian History
Ancient Indian History & Archaeology course is a comprehensive study of ancient history and archaeology of the Indian subcontinent. It delves into the culture, institutions, antiquities, ideas, and concepts through the ages from the pre-historic period to the thirteenth century A.D. The duration of M.A. the course is two years.
After completing this degree, you can become an archaeologist, historian, journalist, lecturer, researcher, documentation specialist, or archivist.
4. M.A. in History and Culture
This postgraduate course is devoted to the study of ideas and culture in the modern world. The course reviews the importance of Indian art and architecture. The candidates have to understand the concept of conservation through our tangible and intangible heritage. It is a diverse course that provides students critical insights into socio-cultural, political, and scientific challenges faced at the global level which has led to the present modern world.
Similar to the job profile offered in MA in Ancient Indian History, this degree offers to become an archivist, curator, guide, historian, lecturer, journalist, researcher, documentation specialist, or librarian.
5. M.A. in History and Archaeology
The next course offered is a master’s in History and Archaeology. It is a course integrated into the study of documented periods using material culture as well as art and texts. It is a part of anthropological archaeology and historical anthropology. The program flourishes by using artifacts, documents, environmental data, landscapes, architecture, and oral history in its studies of colonialism, past and present Indigenous peoples, urbanization, political economy, environmental change, and multicultural societies of the modern world.
The graduates of this degree can be employed in museums, heritage sites, libraries, publishing houses, and tourism companies.
6. MA in Ecosophical Aesthetics
This particular course is one of a kind and is curated by Manipal University. It is a two-year program focused on fulfilling the need for art writers. In a jest, it is an art journalism program from an ecosophical perspective. Ecosophy is a term coined by combining ecology and philosophy. The program is designed to include a philosophical appreciation of all forms- music, cinema, literature, paintings, etc. This course is a perfect intermingling of art history and writing.
The professional possibilities include journalism and media, academics and research, and publishing policy research organizations.
7. MA in Museology
Museums have been a platform for learning and education about history to the public. The study of museums is called Museology. It is a 2-year master’s course that delves into the history of museums, their role in society and curation and preservation, and education of the public. The course syllabus involves researching ancient history using tangible evidence such as texts, artifacts, tools, earthenware, pottery, constructions, buildings, burials, and so on. A Master’s degree in MA
Museology can work as museum curators, gallery assistants, design consultants, or activists. There are also programs for a Ph.D. in Museology/ Conservation/ History of Arts.
- The Courtauld. (n.d.). What is art history? [online] Available at: https://courtauld.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/what-is-art-history/.
- Leverage Edu. (2021). MA Museology. [online] Available at: https://leverageedu.com/blog/ma-museology/ [Accessed 9 May 2022].
- www.shiksha.com. (n.d.). Art History & Aesthetics overview. [online] Available at: https://www.shiksha.com/arts-fine-visual-performing/art-history-aesthetics-chp [Accessed 9 May 2022].
- targetstudy.com. (n.d.). M.A. (Ancient Indian History and Archaeology), Master of Arts in Ancient Indian History and Archaeology, Syllabus, Eligibility, Duration, Degree Course. [online] Available at: https://targetstudy.com/courses/ma-ancient-indian-history-and-archaeology.html [Accessed 9 May 2022].
- www.shiksha.com. (n.d.). Art Education overview. [online] Available at: https://www.shiksha.com/arts-fine-visual-performing/art-education-chp [Accessed 9 May 2022].
- targetstudy.com. (n.d.). M.A. (History and Archaeology), Master of Arts in History and Archaeology, Syllabus, Eligibility, Duration, Degree Course. [online] Available at: https://targetstudy.com/courses/ma-history-and-archaeology.html [Accessed 9 May 2022].
- targetstudy.com. (n.d.). M.A. (History and Culture), Master of Arts in History and Culture, Syllabus, Eligibility, Duration, Degree Course. [online] Available at: https://targetstudy.com/courses/ma-history-and-culture.html#:~:text=History%20and%20Culture%20or%20Master [Accessed 9 May 2022].
- Manipal. (n.d.). MA Ecosophical Aesthetics: Course, Admission 2022 | GCPAS Manipal. [online] Available at: https://manipal.edu/gandhian-centre/program-list/ma-in-ecosophical-aesthetics.html [Accessed 9 May 2022].