Reiulf Ramstad Architects (RRA) is a Norwegian-based architectural firm founded in 1995 by Reiulf Ramstad. The firm is located in Oslo, Norway and is based on design and landscape architecture. The firm is famous globally with various distinguishing awards such as the Topos Jubliee Award (2012), the International Architecture Award (2013) and the Architizer A+ awards: Popular choice and firm of the year (2015).
The firm has achieved this through the use of biomimetic and natural materials in residential works and public work such as restaurants, museums and tourist routes. This architectural firm creates, with careful planning and analysis, contemporary architecture taking site location and analysis into consideration with research and innovativeness.
1. Chemin des Carrieres- Landscape Project
Landscape architecture is the training and practice of designing environments to encompass elements of art, environment, and architecture. It comprises the planning, management, design, and cultivation of the natural and built environments.
Chemin des Carrieres is a multiple awards-winning landscape design project designed in 2019. This project won the AIA International Region Design Awards (2020), European Architecture Awards and RTFA Second Awards. The Chemin des Carrieres is a 11 km path located at Rosheim in Alsace, France. The design includes a hillside belvedere and a grand gateway to guide tourists to the quarries of Saint-Nabor opened from 1902 to 2002.
2. Micro Cluster cabins- Residential Project
Residential architecture is the process of designing and constructing living spaces or residences. It includes planning and designing spaces within a person’s flat, townhomes, homes, and mansions.
Micro Cluster cabins were developed in 2014 in Larvik, Norway, and they cover an area of seventy square metres. This project was a residential cabin design with divisibility; the firm clustered three gabled buildings to realize this. The building is organized around the outdoor area, binding the building as a unit with individual clarified geometric volumes. The three gabled buildings are joined by an external courtyard space, while a steep hill on the northeast borders the site, creating a spatial interaction between the built and natural landscape.
3. Pilestredet Residential Building- Mixed-Use Project
The mixed-use building is a structure that blends multiple uses, such as commercial, residential and institutional, into one space. These functions are integrated to some extent, providing pedestrian connections.
The Pilestredet residential building was constructed in 2020. The project covers an area of seven thousand one hundred square metres and is located in Oslo, Norway. Pilestredet Residential building was designed with the historical background of the Fagerborg neighbourhood. This project united innovation and tradition in a site-specific approach to provide good homes and reflected ways, creating a qualitative neighbourhood. The building has a site-adapted brick exterior with a limited material palette and a wood and concrete robust material palette in the interior.
4. Norwegian Mountaineering Centre- Cultural Project
Cultural Architecture is the determination of the kind of spaces we use or live in due to the behaviours we are taught or see growing up. Architecture should reflect the culture of the people, showcasing structural, environmental and social features of the society.
The building is nine hundred square metres, and it was completed in 2016. The Norwegian Mountaineering Centre is designed to function as a gathering place for visitors. Facilities in this building include a café, library, changing room, bouldering room and administration facilities. The building is a groundbreaking interpretation of the dramatic memory of mountaineering and nature’s fantastic dimensions.
5. Community Church Knarvik- Religious Project
Religious architecture (sacral architecture) is the practice of the art and science of designing and constructing places of sacred or worship spaces, such as churches, mosques, and temples. Religious spaces are among the most remarkable and permanent monolithic buildings created.
The new community church was built in 2014, and it covers an area of two thousand two hundred and fifty square metres. The building is located on a special site in Knarvik, Norway; the site overlooks the local town centre and the cultural landscape. The church spire and ascending roof planes are used to signal the church’s function as a recognizable form and a sacral dignity.
6. Fagerborg Kindergarten- Educational Project
Educational architecture plans and designs environments that support the love of learning and inspire every student to excel. Architecture inspires students to be creative and also unites the education community to make a space that is energized and magnetic.
Fagerborg Kindergarten was commissioned in 2010, and it covers an area of a thousand two hundred square metres. The building is located in central Oslo, Norway, and it is for the Fagerborg Congregation. The structure is made up of 4 kindergarten units with a kitchen and common area for kids between 1-3 years and 3-6 years old, an outdoor facility area and administration offices. The objective of this project is to make a nursery with a rich architecture, creating a house to inspire the children’s character development.
7. Breitenbach Landscape Hotel 48° Nord- Hospitality Project
Hospitality is the act of making someone feel welcome through comfort and entertainment. Hospitality architecture involves the development and construction of comfort and entertainment properties such as restaurants and hotels.
Breitenbach Landscape hotel covers an area of twenty thousand square metres, and it was commissioned in 2020. The design offers Alsace’s true and holistic ecotourism experience inspired by Scandinavian traditions. The project is located at the heights of the Alsatian village of Breitenbach in France. The buildings are sustainability-driven, with each cabin clad with untreated chestnut wood and cabins raised by silts to reduce the impact on the landscape.
8. House of Grain- Tourism Project
Tourism architecture involves the enhancement of the physical assets of destinations, playing a major role in bringing tourists who recognize destinations with these landmarks. This type of architecture shapes the landscape and the aesthetic value.
House of Grain is located on an existing farm and bakery land in Hjørring, Denmark. The building covered an area of six hundred and eighty square metres and was completed in 2020. The building is also known as the Kornets Hus, and it is a centre for awareness of the region’s farming and food culture. The centre is made to offer the importance of grain to human civilization, and the building form comes from the region’s agricultural heritage and landscape.
9. Storbukt Fishery and Sea Bath- Commercial Project
Commercial architecture is the design and construction of buildings to provide the best possible setting for businesses to attend to their customers. It focuses on meeting the needs of a wide range of business types by combining function with style.
The project is located in Honningsvåg, Norway, with construction starting in 2020 and so on going. Storbukt Honningsvåg was created to spread knowledge about Norwegian marine and fishing conditions. The project will create a place where people can know the relationship between the sea to land and also the vitality and richness of the sea.
10. Lund Science Centre- Office Project
Office architecture includes all the components and elements of a workspace which are either decorative or functional. They involve features such as layout, colour choices and lighting elements. Office architecture includes corporate headquarters, studios, office buildings and co-working spaces.
The project is to be located in Lund, Sweden, and it is meant to serve as a meeting place, workplace, and creative research hub. The project is based on innovation and tradition, with the innovation making it a pointer in the landscape and the best of urban culture shown by the tradition. The centre creates an interaction between research, culture, business, and work on the one side and the surrounding city on the other hand.
11. Jubileums Tower- Tower Project
Tower architecture is the design and construction of a structure with a higher proportion to its lateral dimensions. Towers are built to serve functions achieved by height. A tower might not be built for work or habitation, but intended for regular human access.
Jubileum tower is located in Göteborg, Sweden, and the construction of the tower started in 2016. The tower is the first tower built in Region City. The building is built with the purpose to create an appealing entrance to the area of cultural, housing and business structures and to make a signal building. The design intends to create an inspiring and welcoming work atmosphere through openings, natural light and connections between levels.
12. Fosshagen Care Home- Healthcare Project
Healthcare design architects design, build and renovate medical office buildings and other healthcare centres to improve patient satisfaction. Health architecture promotes well-being and healing while helping residents and patients in the process of recovery.
The building, also known as the Frognerhagen, was located in Buskerud, Norway. The Fosshagen care home was developed with professional care guideline practices to meet basic human needs. The structure was designed with careful consideration for logical functionality, flexible layout, a locally-adapted outdoor environment and good spatial design.
13. National Tourist Route Trollstigen- Multi-Award Project
The Trollstigen National Tourist Route is a multiple award-winning project with multiple awards such as ArchDaily Building of the Year (20009), European Steel Construction Award, Norwegian Steel Award, Architizer A+ Awards and The International Architecture Award (2013) and Topos Jubilee Award (2012).
The National Tourist Route Trollstigen covers an area of two hundred thousand square metres and was completed in 2010. The project is located in Romsdalen, Rauma, Norway and was constructed to improve the tourist experience of the Trollstigen plateau’s nature and location. The design involved critical thinking on the materials and features of the route to create functional and well-adapted facilities for the visitors while also considering the site.
14. Stjordal Cultural Centre- Steel Project
Steel is an important building material due to its flexibility, which helps an architect to express his desire. Steel architecture involves using steel as the major building material for a project, and other building materials are not as prominent in such a building.
The Stjordal cultural centre is located in Stjordal, Norway and was commissioned in 2015. The building is an inviting place for people who are interested in culture, and it is significant to people in Norway. The project presents a place where people can develop and explore their talents and abilities while functioning as a venue for the inhabitant’s ceremonies. The cultural centre of Stjordal contributes to the architectural and cultural experiences of its visitors by providing visitors with opportunities and experiences.
15. Region City (Gothenburg)- Masterplanning
Master planning involves making the connection between buildings and surrounding environments. It is the first step in the design process and deals with the creation of a framework that the entire project follows.
Located in Gothenburg, Sweden is an unstructured and complex part of a city. Region City is a new user-friendly urban space created from this unstructured part. The project was intended to make this part of the city more functional by introducing offices, hotels, shops, living areas and public squares to it.
- ArchDaily. 2022. Chemin des Carrières / Reiulf Ramstad Architects. [online] Available at: <https://www.archdaily.com/929935/chemin-des-carrieres-park-walk-reiulf-ramstad-arkitekter> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- 2022. [online] Available at: <https://landscape.coac.net/en/chemin-des-carrieres> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- 2022. [online] Available at: <https://worldlandscapearchitect.com/what-is-landscape-architecture/#.Yq8-SXbMKUk> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- designboom | architecture & design magazine. 2022. reiulf ramstad architects crafts interconnected micro cluster cabins. [online] Available at: <https://www.designboom.com/architecture/reiulf-ramstad-architects-micro-cluster-cabins-norway-10-13-2014/> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- ArchDaily. 2022. Micro Cluster Cabins / Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.archdaily.com/558126/micro-cluster-cabins-reiulf-ramstad-arkitekter> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- ARQA. 2022. Micro Cluster Cabins – ARQA. [online] Available at: <https://arqa.com/en/_arqanews-archivo-en/micro-cluster-cabins.html> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Journal. 2022. Micro Cluster Cabins // Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter – Architizer Journal. [online] Available at: <https://architizer.com/blog/projects/micro-cluster-cabins/> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Mitchell Wall |. 2022. What Is Residential Architecture? | Mitchell Wall Architecture. [online] Available at: <https://www.mitchellwall.com/what-is-residential-architecture/> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- ArchDaily. 2022. Pilestredet Residential Building in Oslo / Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.archdaily.com/943449/pilestredet-residential-building-in-oslo-reiulf-ramstad-arkitekter> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Designeverest.com. 2022. What is a Mixed-use Building and What are its Benefits?. [online] Available at: <https://designeverest.com/lounge/article/what-is-a-mixed-use-building-and-what-are-its-benefits/> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- En.wikipedia.org. 2022. Mixed-use development – Wikipedia. [online] Available at: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-use_development> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Arch2O.com. 2022. Norwegian Mountaineering Center | Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter – Arch2O.com. [online] Available at: <https://www.arch2o.com/norwegian-mountaineering-center-reiulf-ramstad/> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- ArchDaily. 2022. Norwegian Mountaineering Center / Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.archdaily.com/795445/norwegian-mountaineering-center-reiulf-ramstad-arkitekter> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- En.wikipedia.org. 2022. Sacral architecture – Wikipedia. [online] Available at: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacral_architecture#:~:text=Sacral%20architecture%20(also%20known%20as,stupas%2C%20synagogues%2C%20and%20temples.> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Encyclopedia Britannica. 2022. architecture – Religious architecture. [online] Available at: <https://www.britannica.com/topic/architecture/Religious-architecture> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- ArchDaily. 2022. Community Church Knarvik / Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.archdaily.com/574811/community-church-knarvik-reiulf-ramstad-arkitekter> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Architecture for Education. 2022. Architecture for Education. [online] Available at: <https://architecture4e.com/> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- ArchDaily. 2022. Fagerborg Kindergarden / Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.archdaily.com/120498/fagerborg-kindergarden-reiulf-ramstad-architects-thomas-bj-percent-c3-percent-b8rnflatennye-bilder> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Architecture?, W., 2022. What Should You Know About Hospitality Architecture? | Spotless Agency Blog. [online] Spotless Agency. Available at: <https://www.spotlessagency.com/blog/what-should-you-know-about-hospitality-architecture#:~:text=Hospitality%20architecture%20deals%20with%20the,public%20spaces%2C%20and%20general%20design.> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- ArchDaily. 2022. Breitenbach Landscape Hotel 48° Nord / Reiulf Ramstad Architects. [online] Available at: <https://www.archdaily.com/955438/breitenbach-landscape-hotel-48-degrees-nord-reiulf-ramstad-arkitekter-plus-asp-architecture> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- 2022. [online] Available at: <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327936469_Design_architecture_and_the_value_to_tourism> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- ArchDaily. 2022. House of Grain / Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.archdaily.com/953820/house-of-grain-reiulf-ramstad-arkitekter> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- En.wikipedia.org. 2022. Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter – Wikipedia. [online] Available at: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiulf_Ramstad_Arkitekter> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- ArchDaily. 2022. National Tourist Route Trollstigen / Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter + Oslo Norway. [online] Available at: <https://www.archdaily.com/32441/national-tourist-route-trollstigen-rra> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- ArchDaily. 2022. Cultural Center Stjørdal / Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter + Lusparken Arkitekter + JSTArkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.archdaily.com/783106/cultural-center-stjordal-reiulf-ramstad-arkitekter> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. 2022. Storbukt Fishery and Sea Bath — Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.reiulframstadarkitekter.com/work/storbukt-honningsvag> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- 2022. What Is Commercial Architecture? (with pictures). [online] Available at: <https://www.wise-geek.com/what-is-commercial-architecture.htm#:~:text=Commercial%20architecture%20is%20the%20design,wide%20range%20of%20business%20types.> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. 2022. Lund Science Center — Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.reiulframstadarkitekter.com/work/lund-science-center> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. 2022. Fosshagen Care Home — Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.reiulframstadarkitekter.com/work/fosshagen-care-home> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. 2022. Region City — Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.reiulframstadarkitekter.com/work/region-city> [Accessed 19 June 2022].
- Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. 2022. Jubileums Tower — Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter. [online] Available at: <https://www.reiulframstadarkitekter.com/work/jubileums-tower> [Accessed 19 June 2022].