Design Inc. was approached by the client Mr Duggar, to design a bungalow in heart of city, Bhopalpura, for his joint family , including his parents and younger brother. Design idea was quite simple, open and spacious layout , facilitating needs of varied age groups, with all modern luxuries, and exclusive space for small get together and family functions.
Client: Duggar Brothers
Design Firm: Design Inc., Udaipur
Project title: Fringing Frames
Type: Residential Bungalow
Location: Udaipur, Rajasthan
Plot Area: 2400 Sq Ft
Built Up: 6000 SqFt
Architectural style: Modern
Service provided: Architecture and interiors
Project Completion: 2023
Project duration: 5 years
Cost: Appx 2 Crores
Design Brief: Fringing Frames
- Spatial Planning
Lay out of the bungalow was kept in accordance to segregation of public and private spaces, with common hall, located on ground, thereby, facilitating easy approach for visitors and family to enjoy the space. First floor houses kitchen, living, dining and 2 bedrooms, one for parents and other for guests. Second floor accommodates 3 bedrooms, followed by third floor, with a bedroom and home theatre. Levelled terrace providing good interactive gradations and vertical movement lobby, facilitating all floor plates happen to be key point of spatial planning. Terrace has a semi open/open Jacuzzi with adequate interactive landscape.
- Material Selection:
– Exterior: Use of Kadappa , travertine and HCP has been used in amalgamation of white concrete , thereby enforcing fringing frames all over. Kadappa frames a bold base, emphasizing strong boundary wall as well, with enclosed entrance gate.
– Interior: Incorporate neutral shades for the walls, floors, and ceilings, such as whites, beiges, greys, or earthy tones are used , creating a serene and timeless ambiance.
– Achievement of balance by using stone on the lower levels and gradually transitioning to neutral shades on the upper levels has created a visually appealing composition.
– Balance has been ensured between the use of brick and mirror elements. Too much mirror can create an overwhelming effect, so it has been used strategically as accents and feature pieces in common spaces such as drawing partitions and dining ceiling.
- Natural Light and Reflection:
– Mirrors have been utilized strategically to enhance natural light and create an illusion of larger spaces. Placement of mirrors opposite windows and in darker areas to reflect light has made the interiors brighter.
– Incorporation of large windows throughout the bungalow to maximize natural light and provide a connection to the outdoors is practised across all liveable spaces. The reflection of natural light on brick surfaces in bedroom has added warmth and character. Textural variations in the brickwork have improvised visual interest in bedroom.
– Contrast worked on by incorporating sleek and reflective surfaces like mirrors alongside the rough and earthy texture of bricks has brought a modern touch to the design. Ample concealed light has been used for proper functioning of home theatre.
- Furniture and Décor:
– Furniture and décor pieces that complement the neutral colour scheme have been selected skilfully. Comfortable and stylish furniture with clean lines and neutral upholstery has been used to add to aesthetic appeal of the space.
– Addition of pops of colour through accent pieces, such as cushions, rugs, or artwork, to break the monotony of the neutral palette has created bit of playfulness in the bungalow.
– Combination of different types of lighting fixtures to enhance the ambiance. Use of recessed lighting to highlight specific areas and pendant lights and chandeliers to create a focal point has added to richness in space.
– Lighting is automated facilitated with smart technology.
– Landscaping formulates an integral component in the design of bungalow, with use of CNC on railing and interiors as well. Terraces located on all levels are landscape elements, with low maintenance elements. Black and white Jacuzzi is made of tiles and terrazzo combination, making the space quite dramatic.
To sum up, Integration entails seamlessly connecting indoor and outdoor spaces, blurring the boundaries between them. This creates a sense of continuity and expands the living area. Fluidity emphasizes open floor plans, maximizing natural light and views while facilitating a smooth flow between rooms and the terrace. Nature-inspired aesthetics bring the outdoors inside, incorporating natural materials, greenery, to create a soothing and refreshing ambiance. The terrace becomes an extension of the living space, providing a versatile outdoor area for relaxation, entertainment, and connection with nature.