Since humans have existed on earth, evolution and environment resulted in the expansion of cultures. These cultures laid the foundation of all art today. Art is an expressive gateway to feelings, thoughts, or even societal issues. Art is an umbrella term that encompasses a variety of works, ranging from sculptures to architecture to painting. It is highly subjective and is left up to its observers’ subconscious minds to interpret. The term art encompasses a large variety of works, from sculptures and paintings to architecture.
Everyone can appreciate and marvel at art. However, art appreciation involves a deeper look into its setting and historical background, a study behind its origin. To delve deep into analyzing an artwork, one needs to ponder through the artist’s mindset. This will result in a more empathetic and personal appreciation of art.
Art appreciation is a recent budding career in the art world. The study centers on the knowledge to understand art, critical analysis of art, art forms, and how art depicts cultures and people. The effect of the visual arts in societies, history, and other world cultures. Lack of knowledge of culture makes it difficult to understand art.
The field of art appreciation intertwines with the subject of Art history. The subject was developed in the early 19th century in the West. It started to open people’s views towards art and teach them morals of appreciating the good by being good. By the end of the 19th century, the field was popular among women.
Artist John Sloan said, “Though a living cannot be made at art, art makes life worth living.” (Sloan, 2000) Though art appreciation is a relatively unrecognized profession, career opportunities are not short-sighted.
A graduate with an art appreciation degree can work as-
- Teacher or lecturer
- Museum educator or gallery curator
- Public art program manager
- Auction house manager
- Roles in cultural and historic institutions
- Writer or editor
- Contributor to art criticism
Rather than following the traditional job profiles with an art degree, you can also try out as-
- Art Crime Investigator
- Art Exhibit Installer
- Art Insurance Adjustor
- Art Economist
- Architectural Conservator
- Art Lawyer
- Fine Arts Expert Witness
Program alumni may also go on to further studies at the master’s and doctoral levels, preparing them for advanced positions in museum work and teaching.
The requirements for admission to an art appreciation degree will vary between countries and institutions. Some art schools prefer applicants to provide evidence of having studied art at an earlier stage of education, and some fine arts degrees ask to see a portfolio of work. In all cases, a keen interest and passion for the subject as well as explaining why you have chosen this particular course.
Skillsets are important to support the smooth functioning of academics. Thus, art schools with their students should be well-equipped with certain skills to give them admission to the course. These skills could be-
- Imagination, creativity, and ingenuity
- Team-working and working independently
- Verbal and written communication skills
- IT, including using creative software
- Passion to learn about the history
Top 3 countries to pursue the field
The top 3 countries, according to salary expert, with an average annual salary in this field of art appreciation is-
- United States of America- $74,253
- Switzerland- $71793.9
- Australia- $61211
Online courses are a great platform to upskill and can surely develop skill sets. Upskilling will always help you to stay relevant in the current market scenario. So, below are some of the online courses offered that are related to the field of art appreciation-
- Modern Art and Ideas by MoMA
The course is offered by the Museum of Modern Arts and is available on the Coursera platform. It can take approximately 14 hours to complete. The applicants are offered a flexible schedule and certificates are offered at the end of the course. Throughout this course, applicants will discover how artists represent places and take inspiration from their environment and create works of art to express, explore, and question identity.
- What is Contemporary Art? by MoMA
The course is offered by the Museum of Modern Arts and is available on the Coursera platform. The course focuses on art from the past decade through more than 70 works of art made between 1980 and the present. It can take approximately 12 hours to complete the course. The applicants are offered certificates at the end of the course.
- Roman Architecture by Yale
Roman Architecture is offered by Yale university. The course offers to learn about Roman architecture that shapes politics, society, and culture. It can take approximately 40 hours to complete the course. The applicants are offered certificates at the end of the course.
These course objectives include cultivating an ability to feel comfortable with your artistic opinion no matter what those in opposition might have to say.
- https://www.facebook.com/EWPortal (2018). The Importance of Art Appreciation. [online] EducationWorld. Available at: https://www.educationworld.in/the-importance-of-art-appreciation/.
- Gustlin, D. and Gustlin, Z. (2019). 1.1: What Is Art Appreciation? [online] Humanities Libertexts. Available at: https://human.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Art/A_World_Perspective_of_Art_Appreciation_(Gustlin_and_Gustlin)/01%3A_A_World_Perspective_of_Art_Appreciation/1.01%3A_What_Is_Art_Appreciation.
- Institute, E.E.R. (n.d.). Museum Curator Salary the United States – SalaryExpert. [online] www.salaryexpert.com. Available at: https://www.salaryexpert.com/salary/job/museum-curator/united-states [Accessed 15 May 2022].
- Institute, E.E.R. (n.d.). Museum Curator Salary Switzerland – SalaryExpert. [online] www.salaryexpert.com. Available at: https://www.salaryexpert.com/salary/job/museum-curator/switzerland [Accessed 15 May 2022].
- Institute, E.E.R. (n.d.). Museum Curator Salary Australia – SalaryExpert. [online] www.salaryexpert.com. Available at: https://www.salaryexpert.com/salary/job/museum-curator/australia [Accessed 15 May 2022].
- www.apu.edu. (n.d.). MA in Modern and Contemporary Art History: Career Outcomes. [online] Available at: https://www.apu.edu/vpa/programs/art-history-masters/careers/ [Accessed 15 May 2022].
- Coursera. (n.d.). Modern and Contemporary Art and Design. [online] Available at: https://www.coursera.org/specializations/modern-contemporary-art-design#instructors [Accessed 15 May 2022].
- Coursera. (n.d.). What Is Contemporary Art? [online] Available at: https://www.coursera.org/learn/contemporary-art [Accessed 15 May 2022].
- Sloan, J. (2000). John Sloan on Drawing and Painting: Gist of Art. [online] Google Books. Courier Corporation. Available at: https://books.google.co.in/books/about/John_Sloan_on_Drawing_and_Painting.html?id=Amv-KoQm4cYC&redir_esc=y [Accessed 15 May 2022].