Benjamin Edward Meara Stiller, aka Ben Stiller House, is an American actor, film director, film producer, filmmaker, and comedian who is the son of the famous comedian duo Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara. He was born in New York City and raised on the Upper West side. Throughout his exceptional career ranging from writing, starring, directing, and producing, he received various awards and honours, including an Emmy for his American sketch comedy series, The Ben Stiller Show. Out of the Ben Stiller house, his family house in New York City has been the closest to him as he spent a major portion of his life living there with his parents, Jerry Stiller, Anne Meara, and sister, Amy. For the first time in over 50 years, the childhood home of the Stiller has finally hit the market and is for sale.
The Fifth-Floor Residence at 118 Riverside Drive | Ben Stiller House
Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara moved to New York City from Washington heights into unit 5A in 1965 when the apartment was a rental and later, they purchased the building when it went co-op which happened a few years later. In the early 1980s, they also purchased the room next door, 5B, and combined them into a 5-bedroom home which is now listed for the first time. Actor Ben Stiller is very attached to his family house as he mentions that everything from birthday celebrations, to thanksgiving, Christmas, and Hanukkah happened in that apartment. This 3700-square-foot home has five bedrooms, two kitchens, a small staff quarter, four bathrooms, and a half bathroom to utilize.
This Ben Stiller house has a very welcoming feel to it as it’s bright and filled with light due to many windows that offer a pleasant view of the city. The home’s entrance starts with a private elevator that opens to a 32-foot gallery foyer with several images of famous couples lined up on the wall, among which is also a painting by Sam Messer that Ben Stiller commissioned as a present for his parents. A large corner room on the west side of the apartment has a great view of Riverside Park and is also open to the kitchen. A small staff quarter occupies the space behind the kitchen which has a bathroom and a service entrance and a part of the living room is a cozy powder room and an office space, where Anne mostly worked.
The five bedrooms, a den cum library, and a small eat-in kitchen occupies the other end of the gallery. The second service entrance of the home opens to this small kitchen which also has an adjacent pantry. Beautiful French doors of this Ben Stiller house open to the den that is embraced by oak built-ins. Four bedrooms and the den offer a view of 84th street. The whole apartment has a warmth to it because of the oak flooring, original casings, and oversized windows that add a subtle contrast to the white walls and ceilings. Ventilation in all the rooms is brilliant, thanks to many windows and the bedrooms have ample closet space. The master bedroom suite has a pretty large dressing room and a marble-tiled bathroom. Light beige to white spaces gives a touch of luxury and has a pleasant charm.
The apartment building which was built in 1929 consists of 169 apartments in total that are spread across 16 floors. This building not only offers a 24 hours doorman for the residents but also a fitness center, bike room, laundry room, playroom, and private storage units. Jerry and Anne secured 5A before the birth of Ben Stiller and after about 50 years, it’s for the first time the apartment has been listed for $5 million along with $7,593 for monthly maintenance.
West Village’s Luxury Condo at 150 Charles Street
Ben Stiller and his wife Christine Taylor have purchased a brand-new condo in New York’s super luxurious complex, West Village which has also captivated other celebrities like Jon Bon Jovi and supermodel, Irina Shayk. This 3,395 square feet full-floor spread apartment worth $15 million is at 150 Charles Street and offers brilliant views of the Hudson River. The full-length floor-to-ceiling windows are at a stretch of about 30 ft which lets in a lot of light to the beautiful living cum dining room that is over 520 square feet. Adjacent to this is a luxurious eat-in kitchen clad in walnut with Alabama white vein marble countertops that are sourced from one of the finest quarries in the United States. The kitchen also includes a 78-bottle wine refrigerator, and coffee station and one end of the kitchen opens to an informal dining area flooded with morning light through the large east-facing windows.
Three out of four bedrooms of this Ben Stiller house have an en-suite bathroom and large east-facing windows while the spacious master bedroom occupying the west side has its private sitting room, three closets, and an elegant bathroom with double-sink vanity, and heated marble floors, glass-enclosed shower area, and a deep soaker tub. Apart from the hardwood flooring throughout, and open floor plan that offers ridiculous good views of the river, Ben Stiller and his wife being residents of the newly constructed 15-story apartment building are provided with other comforts like a private parking garage and a covered driveway, 24-doormen and concierge service, cozy walnut and white oak-paneled lobby with a huge fireplace, fitness center with sauna and steam rooms, a spa room, yoga center and a juice bar, 75-foot lap pool and more than 40,000-square-feet of private green area.
- Dana Schulz (2021). Ben Stiller’s childhood home on the Upper West Side is for sale after more than 50 years. [online]. (Last updated 19 July 2021). Available at: https://www.6sqft.com/upper-west-side-home-of-jerry-stiller-and-anne-meara-at-118-riverside-drive-lists-for-5m/ [Accessed 23 August 2022].
- Anne Giordano (2021). Ben Stiller’s Childhood Home on the Upper West Side Seeks $5M. [online]. (Last updated 23 July 2021). Available at: https://www.cottagesgardens.com/ben-stillers-childhood-home-on-the-upper-west-side-seeks-5m/ [Accessed 23 August 2022]
- TheRealDeal (2021). UWS co-op owned by Jerry Stiller hits market for first time in 50 years. [online]. (Last updated 19 July 2021). Available at: https://therealdeal.com/2021/07/19/uws-co-op-owned-by-jerry-stiller-hits-market-for-first-time-in-50-years/ [Accessed 23 August 2022]
- Melissa Allison (2016). Ben Stiller’s moving in! Take a tour inside his new NYC pad. [online]. (Last updated 25 June 2016). Available at: https://www.today.com/home/ben-stiller-s-moving-take-tour-inside-his-new-nyc-t100215 [Accessed 23 August 2022]
- Annie Doge (2016). Ben Stiller Buys a $15M West Village Pad at Celeb-Favorite 150 Charles Street. [online]. (Last updated 20 June 2016). Available at: https://www.today.com/home/ben-stiller-s-moving-take-tour-inside-his-new-nyc-t100215 [Accessed 24 August 2022]
- Zoe Rosenberg (2016). Ben Stiller Is 150 Charles Street’s Newest Celebrity Resident. [online]. (Last updated 20 June 2016). Available at: https://ny.curbed.com/2016/6/20/11978856/ben-stiller-nyc-apartment-150-charles-street [Accessed 24 August 2022]
- Mark David (2016). Ben Stiller Picks Up Brand New Condo in New York City’s West Village. [online]. (Last updated 27 June 2016). Available at: https://www.dirt.com/more-dirt/real-estate-listings/ben-stiller-condo-new-york-city-west-village-christine-taylor-1203494034/ [Accessed 24 August 2022]
- People (2022). Ben Stiller. [online]. Available at: https://people.com/tag/ben-stiller/ [Accessed 24 August 2022]